Bushnell 4200

shephem

Ok I have decided to get one of the 4200's for my Remington 700 22-250. It has a Choate Ultimate Target Stock and the trigger set at 3lbs. I am trying to decide if I should get the 4x16x50 Multi-X, 4x16x40 Multi-x, or 6x24x40 mil dot. I really don't think I need the 6x24 but like the mil dot. On the other hand I really like the 50mm also. This is my coyote gun but would also like to go shoot parrie dogs in Western Oklahoma sometime. Ok one more question. Bushnell is starting to offer a side focus parallax adjustment and I was wondering if that worth $60 dollars more? I have never used a scope with the side adjustment.
Thanks for any input
Mark Shepherd

Go with the mildot reticle since you're wanting this rifle to be used on PD's. You'll want the mildots to use for hold over on very distant targets.

Since none of these scopes has target turrets (or at least it doesn't appear that they do) you'll be using hold over for long shots, and need the mildot reticle.

Dan

I just read bushnells website and it says that the the 6x24 has 26in adjustment at one hundred yards, the 4x16x40 has 40in, and 4x16x50 has 50in. Wouldn't this help with the long shots? How many inches do I really need?
Mark

These scopes are very bright and clear. The only thing I dont like about them is that they dont have target knobs. Since they dont, I would go ahead and get the mil dot. You cant accurately shoot longer distances just "guessing" holdover. At least with the mil dot, you will be able to. A good rangefinder if you dont already have one will also help score you some hits. The side focus is worth it. You want to be able to focus in on something from 50 yards to infinity. Also, I dont think you will need 50mm but it does help in lowlight situations. They are a little heavier and bulkier, but they dont seem to get in the way any more or less. I only have one 50mm scope and thats my Mark4.

Those don't have much internal adjustment, but w/a 22-250 your max range will be about 600 yds so I would say go w/the one w/40 or 50 MOA internal adj. Might look @ the Nikon Buckmasters. I think they are comparable in price but have more internal adj.

Shooting those PDs in western OK sure is alot of fun!!! Where abouts in western OK?

Depends on how far you want to shoot. If you are centered in the scope and dead on at 100yds with the 6x24 you will have a little under 13 moa you can adjust up. That should get you easily to 500 yds with a 22-250. On the down side you won't have much windage adjustment at the extreme ends of the vertical range(if that makes sense).

Chris

These scopes do come with target turrents. They are a low profile turrent, work very well and don't get in the way when in the field. Most have 1/8Min clicks which I like for LR adjustments.

With the 22/250, you will have no issue, even with the 6X24, to go as far as the rig is accurate. I use the 6X24 mil dot beyond 1000yds.

As always, just shim the scope to give you the amount of 'up' you need. I use Burris Sig rings with inserts and or a canted Farrell base.

All my rifles are set up with full 'down' at 100 or 200yds allowing for max adjustment for LR shooting.

I also own the 4X14 SF buckmaster and this is a great scope. However, the image quality of the 4200 6X24/4X16 is better. Both are mechanically excellent.

I also like the mil dot as it makes adjustments quick and easy, especially if target decides to move around.

My number one pick would be the 6X24MD, then Buckmaster, then 4X16 - 40 or 50mm. Larger objectives do nothing for you during daylight shooting. Plus the low light performance of these Elites is so good, I see no benefit to the larger objective.

I hunt with the 6X24 and can use the scope to engage game in light too low to see with the naked eye. That is superb low light performance.

Jerry

PS could you post a link to the side focus ELite scopes?

I have a 6-24 elite 4000 on my .270 wby do you know if the inches for adjusting are the same as the 4200?

I have one of the older 4200 elite 6x-24x scopes that doesn't have the MOA numbers on the target knobs. My friend bought one last year and that one had MOA numbers on the target knobs. Nice scope for the $$..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.