Burris XTR II Reticle Question

memtb

I need a little adult supervision!!!!! Am trying to complete a long range pkg. I'm thinking seriously about the Burris XTR II in 5-25. Feel free to tell me if that choice is a mistake. But, if I go with that scope, what should be the reticle of choice for a novice long range shooter be? Thanks in advance for any and all constructive criticism! memtb

I've got the 8-40 and have used it in F Class. The turrets produce repeatable results and have a good feel. Positive clicks with what feels like the right resistance. That is the most important aspect for long range. The reticle in mine is the F Class reticle. I'd prefer just an MOA with hash marks for offsets but this one works. It could use a wider eye relief window at higher powers but at below 30 power it's OK. In general the scope works and the build quality is good as well. The glass is not Nightforce or Vortex Razor or March or high end Zeiss or Swarovski level but is on par with the better mid-priced scopes like Vortex PST or Sightron SIII. If I sell mine it'll be to fund a Nightforce Competition model.

I have two SCR MOA 5x25x50 versions on my 308 and mid range 223 AR build on a WOA barrel. Love them. Lighter weight then a Razor gen 2 also and for the money, the best value out there.
Now in fairness, I am getting a razor gen 2 for the latest build but it is my best rifle and I will be only putting the best I can afford on it. Plus it's not going to be carried around like the others but a dedicated Long range shooter in 6 dasher.
That being said, you can't go wrong with the Burris XTR2.

Do you currently have MIL or MOA scopes? Which are you the most comfortable with? I would go SCR in MIL or MOA, whichever you prefer. The SCR reticle is **** nice. I have two new in plastic in SCR MIL if you can't find what you want, hit me up.

Remember these are FFP(first focal plane) scopes and the reticle gets bigger as you zoom in. I prefer second focal plane for long range stuff. I have the 5-25x MOA and it is a great scope for the price.

These are FFP vs SFP, everyone has their own opinion about these and everyone is entitled to that, they both have a time and a place IMO. I like SFP scopes for hunting applications because of how small the reticle gets on low end of the power range in FFP scopes. That said for any other application where the low end of the power won't likely be used I like and prefer FFP. Especially Long Range shooting FFP is superior because the reticle lines/marks won't change value on different power settings like a SFP, mirage is the biggest factor for me on this.

These are FFP vs SFP, everyone has their own opinion about these and everyone is entitled to that, they both have a time and a place IMO. I like SFP scopes for hunting applications because of how small the reticle gets on low end of the power range in FFP scopes. That said for any other application where the low end of the power won't likely be used I like and prefer FFP. Especially Long Range shooting FFP is superior because the reticle lines/marks won't change value on different power settings like a SFP, mirage is the biggest factor for me on this.
SFP reticles do not change size with increased magnification. They always stay the same size.

The FFP reticles change size as you increase magnification.

Vortex Optics - First vs.Second Focal Plane

The advantage to FFP scopes is that if you are using them for ranging or for doping the subtentions remain constant at any power. With SFP scopes your subtensions are only accurate at one level of magnification.

SFP reticles do not change size with increased magnification. They always stay the same size.

The FFP reticles change size as you increase magnification.

I would recommend you re-read what I wrote, because that is exactly what I said...

I need a little adult supervision!!!!! Am trying to complete a long range pkg. I'm thinking seriously about the Burris XTR II in 5-25. Feel free to tell me if that choice is a mistake. But, if I go with that scope, what should be the reticle of choice for a novice long range shooter be? Thanks in advance for any and all constructive criticism! memtb

The SFP vs FFP boils down to end-user's personal preference and intended purpose. All my scopes are SFPs except for my last 2 purchases (4-20 Burris Veracity and 5-20 SWFA HD). Having said that, I have no problem transitioning from SFP to FFP in LRH/S.

As far as reticle choices, I would personally go with the SCR MOA.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.