Bullets for the 7mm STW

41mag

I picked up one of these critters in a Sendero last week. Afterwords, I found that ammo was out of sight and purchased cases and accessories for handloading them.

Afterwords I happened across some Federal stuff loaded with 150gr Nosler Solid Bases for less than 20 bucks a box, and picked some up.

I had originally planned on using the Hornady 162gr bullets which I have a decent on hand supply of, but figured the 150 SB's would probably work out as well for the intended ranges and purposes.

Are any of you shooting the 150's in any brand or mainly just the 140's and the heavier 160+ ?

Just looking for some practical experience and possible info on results you have had.

Thanks.

Mike

A Square used to load 140s and 160s that were very good
but I dont know if they still do.

Velocities were 3500 fps for the 140s.

J E CUSTOM

My groups really shined once I went to the 160gn Accubonds and TXS. I had the equal luck with both H1000 and IMR7828.

Mike, I just picked up a Sendero last week also. I have been trying to find one for a long time. I glass bed it two nights ago and am waiting for my 30MM rings to come in from MidSouth to mount my SB. I also just picked up a bunch of Winchester brass,Redding Dies and Nosler 160 Accubonds with a box of 162 Hornady's Amax. Here is something you might wanna know, Natchezs had a December flyer for 160 Accubonds for 15.99 a box, when I tried to order them they wouldn't stand by their price and said that Nosler raised their prices and it was below their cost. I you want a good deal on Accubonds, Cabelas has them right now in the 160's for 17.99 and Midsouth will match the advertised price if you need to stock up...You cant go wrong with the Accubond.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifGood luck with your Stw and share some of your results with us..Thanks alot, Jason

Mike, I have 3 STW in senderos, 2 of them love Federal 150 gr Nolser Solid Base loads. They shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. So far this season I shot 3-does and 1-buck from 110 yards to 362 yards. 1 head shot and 3 shoulder all pass thrus. Entrance about 1 inch and exist 2 inches especially hitting bone. For a factory ammo I think it pretty hard to beat at 500 yards and closer, the price is right- I bought several boxes with NO regrets. Hopes this helps! Bill

Mike

If you want to sale your 7mm STW Later Let me Know.
I have one 7 MM STW an My son want an 7 mm STW To.
I use nosler 120 gr B T an H 1000
The only thing I do not like about the 7 MM STW is 50 rounds an you will use a Pound of H 1000.

Redbone

Mike,
I picked up 5 boxes of the federal 150 nosler, solid base from midway on sale 8-9 months ago.I shot about 2 boxes to break in my new barrel,the rest I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder,shot the primmers,so I could use the brass.The best groups @ 100 were about 1 1/2.I think the problem may have been seating depth.I then went to work on a hunting load over the next 4-5 months.I tryed alot of differant powders and hunting bullets.My gun is a custom model 700,26''ABS Barrel,1 in 9 1/2 twist.Here is the 2 most accurate loads I came up with for hunting.

140 accubond
F215m
86 GRS-Retumbo
OAL-3.835=.10 OFF LANDS
This is a hot load in my rifle,you should start 10% below this and work up.Also you may have a shorter throat,or longer,so my OAL may not work in your rifle.

160 Accubond
78GRS Retumbo
F215m
This is a mild load in my rifle,but very accurate.

I used the the 140 accubond load this year to hunt with.I harvested 2 elk and 1 deer,the ranges were from 350 to 519yrds.The accubond worked flawless.

THanks for the info folks. I was going to slip out to the range today but ended up working over a bit. So I will ty it again tomorrow.

Like I mentioned, I got the Federals and after reading about the seating depth thing, I might try some and then pull and reseat some of the others.

I gave a quick thought to the 140 stuff, but for what I have in mind for this rifle, I fell they might just be a bit light at futher ranges. Thanks for the loads data, I will stash it away and might give it a try sometime later.

I will let ya know how it works out.

The only thing I've tried was the 150gr. xbullet and the 162gr. amax. I really like the amax. Not that the barnes didn't kill what I was aiming at it just took longer than I like and he made it farther than I like. The amax's are riding on H1000 and 215 primers

Screech, how many grains are you using of the H1000 with the 162 Amax, And have you chronographed those loads?

I had 140 accubonds fail on me in alberta on a whitetail at 340 and 150 yards. It was 73 grs of IMR 4831 at around 3400 fps...i am trying the TSX now..

My STW didn't like the 162 amax, but really loved the 160 AB. I find the heavier bullets are more accurate.

160 AB with 80.2 grains of Retumbo or H1000 were killer accurate.

Blaser R93 I take it that you shoot a Blaser R93.
I have one in a 7 STW and it shoots grate 1-9.5 twist and it likes 150 gr bullets. I use 7828 powder .

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.