bullet wieghts and overall length for accuracy

mchandyman

i loaded 90 grain bullets at various oal. got a real good accuracy with 1. was wondering if a 95 grain bullet with that same oal would give the same results.

If the 95 grain bullet is the same build as the other, i.e. just 5 grains more, then it would be a good place to start. If it is a different bullet type, then I would recommend doing another seating test. Some bullets like VLD's are quite picky when it comes to seating depths.

Likely a decent place to start out. As was previously stated, if it's the "same" bullet just 5g heavier it shouldn't change the barrel harmonic very substantially. Certainly, it's not likely to be just a load it up the same and TADA, but it should get you in the realm of it. YMMV. I like to use the ogive to the base of the brass as my standard point of length reference FWIW. You might also want to measure the bullets themselves for consistency in dimensions. Especially if you are loading hot and within a couple thousandths of the lands. Have fun, be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.