300RUM Overall Length

Thompsonj

I'm loading berger 215gr in my 300RUM. I'm starting .020 off the lands. The measurements is pretty long, 3.954 is the COAL to get the lands and 1st test will be 3.934. Say that's the load my gun wants, will the Wyatt box still work for that?

A 700 action can run the 4.00" box but some others can't because of the bolt stop, etc.

I'm loading berger 215gr in my 300RUM. I'm starting .020 off the lands. The measurements is pretty long, 3.954 is the COAL to get the lands and 1st test will be 3.934. Say that's the load my gun wants, will the Wyatt box still work for that?
Unfortunately no a Wyatt's box will not run that long the inside of the follower box is 3.90 if I remember correctly. You can gain up to 3.95 ish with the unknown munitions box. Unfortunately the unknown box at least the first version is a bit finicky to get to function correctly typically needing to mill out the stock so the front of the box sits up high enough to feed properly. It is still your best bet as far as aftermarket bottom metal and allows you to load longer than the Wyatt's. I have both bottom metals on 300 Rums and 338s. The Wyatt's box is about as foul proof as it gets, while the unknown box takes a bit of tinkering to feed all 3 rounds properly. As with most anything once set up correctly you shouldn't have issues.

Unfortunately no a Wyatt's box will not run that long the inside of the follower box is 3.90 if I remember correctly. You can gain up to 3.95 ish with the unknown munitions box. Unfortunately the unknown box at least the first version is a bit finicky to get to function correctly typically needing to mill out the stock so the front of the box sits up high enough to feed properly. It is still your best bet as far as aftermarket bottom metal and allows you to load longer than the Wyatt's. I have both bottom metals on 300 Rums and 338s. The Wyatt's box is about as foul proof as it gets, while the unknown box takes a bit of tinkering to feed all 3 rounds properly. As with most anything once set up correctly you shouldn't have issues.
The CFE9 says up to 4". I was hoping for that one was a true 4" inside

The CFE9 says up to 4". I was hoping for that one was a true 4" inside
I'd have to check when I get home on the inside dimension, but I believe it is 4". IIRC, I think my 300 RUM is 3.966". Again, I'd have to double check.

Any of these extremely long cartridge boxes/followers require some tuning to get everything feeding properly. Not a big deal, just takes some tinkering.

I have the 215 Bergers at 3.831" (.100+ off the lands) in my Wyatt's,it's the 3.85". Don't be afraid to jump them. Another good one was at 3.745 ti feed from an AICS.

I have the 215 Bergers at 3.831" (.100+ off the lands) in my Wyatt's,it's the 3.85". Don't be afraid to jump them. Another good one was at 3.745 ti feed from an AICS.
Great point Shane. I've found velocity is sensitive when close to the lands. One rifle I lost about 10fps for every .015" increase in seating depth. It seemed to stabilize around
.08-.09" off.

This simply means that as the throat erodes, velocity will likely remain stable with a little jump rather than at .010 off.

Cfe9 is the longest box you can get, if you read wyatts website, you need to machine the underside of the action so the box will fit, the bolt stop so it will pick up the next round, and the top of the action so loaded rounds will eject-- fyi, it is a centerfeed mag for reference

Cfe9 is the longest box you can get, if you read wyatts website, you need to machine the underside of the action so the box will fit, the bolt stop so it will pick up the next round, and the top of the action so loaded rounds will eject-- fyi, it is a centerfeed mag for reference
Aren't Defiance Deviant and Ruckus actions already set up with a "Seekins Cut" DBM opening?
Which is good for a 3.950" COAL...
So will the CFE-9 work on a Defiance Deviant/Ruckus with a Seekins Cut DBM?
Thanks

Aren't Defiance Deviant and Ruckus actions already set up with a "Seekins Cut" DBM opening?
Which is good for a 3.950" COAL...
So will the CFE-9 work on a Defiance Deviant/Ruckus with a Seekins Cut DBM?
Thanks
Best to ask the manufacturer