Bullet selection is driving me nuts....

YUP, well said Muddy.

No such thing as a do it all bullet, and yes, all bullets will fail eventually.

If you have done this long enough, you'll see bullets do some crazy things.
No such thing as a " perfectly placed shot" every time either… if I had to guess, I'd say that explains many of the so called "bullet failures"…I think most of us will admit we've had a few more "placement failures" than "bullet failures". Nuff said!

No such thing as a " perfectly placed shot" every time either… if I had to guess, I'd say that explains many of the so called "bullet failures"…I think most of us will admit we've had a few more "placement failures" than "bullet failures". Nuff said!
It's also why I prefer overkill to the alternative. Everytime ya bring up if a given cartridge is powerful enough someone says "shot placement is everything" and it drives me nuts!!!!! 🤣. Simply because I don't think anyone would disagree BUT we all know, if we're honest and experienced enough, that things can and do go wrong in the real world, in the field. I don't want a cartridge OR A BULLET that can be relied upon to kill as quickly as possible WHEN EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT…I like a little insurance when things are less than perfect and my limited but real experience has shown that with a less optimal hit (and i don't mean gut shot, I mean farther back in the lungs than intended even) my .300 win legit results in a shorter tracking job on whitetails than lesser cartridges and as a rule bullets that are "too tough" don't drop them as fast as bullets that shed some weight WITH the caveat that I'll always choose the option that still has a high probability of exit wounds.

I shoot whitetail with a 25-06 using Nosler Ballistic Tips. Not once have I had an issue, most are DRT.
I've shot 1/4" 100 yd groups with these NBTs in this caliber…muleys, coyotes, antelope either drop or take less than 10 steps….but 450yds has been my longest shot…280-300 yds is the average here in Nevada….
I firmly believe in bullet placement as key to a kill…high BC only matters after 500yds and at that distance and beyond, in the field, the solidity of the shooting rest goes up exponentially…long shots are relegated to coyotes only…

Gday
It's also why I prefer overkill to the alternative. Everytime ya bring up if a given cartridge is powerful enough someone says "shot placement is everything" and it drives me nuts!!!!! 🤣. Simply because I don't think anyone would disagree BUT we all know, if we're honest and experienced enough, that things can and do go wrong in the real world, in the field. I don't want a cartridge OR A BULLET that can be relied upon to kill as quickly as possible WHEN EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT…I like a little insurance when things are less than perfect and my limited but real experience has shown that with a less optimal hit (and i don't mean gut shot, I mean farther back in the lungs than intended even) my .300 win legit results in a shorter tracking job on whitetails than lesser cartridges and as a rule bullets that are "too tough" don't drop them as fast as bullets that shed some weight WITH the caveat that I'll always choose the option that still has a high probability of exit wounds.
honesty is hard to come by these days
Thanks for speaking up on what happens

the ones that are not afraid to show weaknesses are the ones we learn more from but really it's a strength in doing so

Thanks

cheers

Occasionally, during my younger years, we could buy 8 deer tags in eastern Montana: 5 antlerless muley B tags, 2 antlerless white tail tags, and 1 either sex either species A tag. Those were lean years for me. Shot lots of Speer and Sierra bullets that aren't even mentioned any more. Secret to a clean kill: > 1000 ft-lbs of energy at impact for deer & antelope and > 1500 ft-lbs of energy at impact for elk & moose + hit the animal in the front end. High shoulder shot to drop them in their tracks or in the heart & lungs to avoid ruining meat (need tracking snow unless you're breaking bones. Now days I don't hunt much, but handload & coach kids and grandkids. We like quick, drop in their tracks kills. Berger VLD's, Classic Hunters, and Elite Hunters provide that along with the accuracy at long distances that we could only fantasize about 30 or 40 years ago. Modern optics, numerically controlled machine tools and high quality, uniform bullets enable consistent, repeatable long range ethical kills for the skilled marksman. None of these advantages help shooters that lack the skills of a marksman. Personal preference, product availability, and individual skill & confidence in the bullet selection ultimately solve this debate. Make sure you get it done on paper at the range before hunting season. Bullet brand doesn't matter as much as shooting skill and experience.

Occasionally, during my younger years, we could buy 8 deer tags in eastern Montana: 5 antlerless muley B tags, 2 antlerless white tail tags, and 1 either sex either species A tag. Those were lean years for me. Shot lots of Speer and Sierra bullets that aren't even mentioned any more. Secret to a clean kill: > 1000 ft-lbs of energy at impact for deer & antelope and > 1500 ft-lbs of energy at impact for elk & moose + hit the animal in the front end. High shoulder shot to drop them in their tracks or in the heart & lungs to avoid ruining meat (need tracking snow unless you're breaking bones. Now days I don't hunt much, but handload & coach kids and grandkids. We like quick, drop in their tracks kills. Berger VLD's, Classic Hunters, and Elite Hunters provide that along with the accuracy at long distances that we could only fantasize about 30 or 40 years ago. Modern optics, numerically controlled machine tools and high quality, uniform bullets enable consistent, repeatable long range ethical kills for the skilled marksman. None of these advantages help shooters that lack the skills of a marksman. Personal preference, product availability, and individual skill & confidence in the bullet selection ultimately solve this debate. Make sure you get it done on paper at the range before hunting season. Bullet brand doesn't matter as much as shooting skill and experience.
Very well said brother 👍🏼🇺🇲

Hi Colin, just like you I am huge Nosler Ballistic Tip fan, for DEER HUNTING. I use the 130 Grain Ballistic tips in my .270 Win deer rifles at right about 3025 fps and the same bullet in my .270 Weatherby Mag , Long Range Deer Rifle. To say I am happy with their performance on Whitetail deer, would be an understatement. However, when I went to the Bag Steel Shooting School, the second time, I used the Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby mag, with that 130 Grn bullet loaded to right about 3300fps, and its Long-Range results were not excellent. The wind was pushing that bullet all around, and it was a noticeable difference from the previous year, where I used that same rifle with the 150 Grn. Nosler Accubond LR bullet, at 3000 fps. That 150 Grn Bullet made 700 , 800 ,1000, and 1100 yard shots again and again. So here is my Non scientific impression, in my 270 Wins and 270 Weatherby Mag, 130 Grn Ballistic Tip are an excellent deer bullet, but not a LR Target bullet. If I ever had the chance to Hunt Mulies ect. out to 500 to 600 yards or hit targets out to 1100 yards, I would load up the 150 Grn Nosler Accubond LR to right at 3000 fps, and go make the steel Ring. By the way, Both my Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win and my Model 70 Super Grade in 270 Win and my 270 Weatherby Mag all have a 10 twist , and shoot the 150 Grn. bullets very well. Justy my Humble opinion!

You will find that everyone has a different opinion on this. If it works for them then it works for them but you need to find something that will work for you.

In my case my preferred hunting bullet is the Nosler Partition 165 gr in 308 or 30-06. I have found that the Nosler 168 gr HPBT will duplicate the Partition's zero. I can shoot either of them without a change of zero when loaded identically with the exception of the bullet. This allows me to shoot the less expensive match bullets for zero or practice but still have a hunting zero at all times.

My alternate choice is a name you don't hear around here much, Sierra. The Sierra Match King and Game King bullets are also fantastic. also in the 165 for hunting and 168 for practice and zero in 30 caliber. There is a slight shift in zero between the Sierras but less than 1/2 MOA

While I reference the 30 caliber here I shoot both of these bullets in all of my rifles from .223 Rem to 300 WM in various weights. All including the hunting bullets are all easily capable of less than 1 MOA when paired up with the right powder and velocity that your rifle likes.

As for terminal performance, pretty much all hunting type bullets if selected properly for the caliber being shot and the game hunted will perform as designed. Yes depending on what you hit, where you hit it will depend upon what it's perceived performance will be. You can't judge a bullet's performance on someone reporting on only one shot.

In the end try some different loads and see which one your rifle likes best and go with it.
On YouTube "Simple Minded Fellar" is one you need to watch. He tests high and low velocity impacts. Also "Front Line Rejects" tests as well. I recommend also doing your own tests. Because nothing compares to your own real-world results.

Thanks for sharing, would like to see this test with target bullets. I used Hornady Interbond in 308, 06, and 300 win for years.
I use the interlocks in my 7-08. I think the Interbond and Interlocks are the two best bullets Hornady makes.
My buck this year, exit with 139gr Interlocks is just what I want at sub 100. Not that it went far (10yds) but wouldn't be an issue finding a blood trail!

Attachments

• F72142F0-FCD0-4ABE-B448-E03400F1CA05.jpeg
    F72142F0-FCD0-4ABE-B448-E03400F1CA05.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • 1D525428-4149-4087-8417-6FA2D77B6A3D.jpeg
    1D525428-4149-4087-8417-6FA2D77B6A3D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Yea I'm wondering what state he's in that allows him to kill sooo many deer even at 10 deer a year that's 10 years the only state I know of that you could possibly do that is Alabama. And how long has terminal ascent bullets been out!!!
Possibly a depredation permit? Many states allow for these. I know 5-6 folks that get them every year and have actually helped out with some of that myself.

Last edited: