Bullet Seating Depth for Mag Length

Tiny Tim

I have a Savage Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor ( I know, I know 😉). Loading a 140 grain Elite Hunter. Limited to 2.86 in mag. 2.95ish puts me at the lands, so roughly. 090 off the lands ( I want to use the magazine).

My question is when doing a seating test, starting at the mag length, what intervals of increasing depth should I try? .015" steps (because its a hybrid design and therefore less sensitive to seating depth), .030", .040"?

I only have two other rifles with dbm and was always lucky enough to find a good seating depth that fit in the dbm using the "Berger method".

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Since Berger's data (as is Nosler) is based off a 2.80" length, I would test from your 2.86 down to 2.80 in .010 increments. Wouldn't waste much for components and give you an idea if one is better than another. Or just load short of mag length so that it feeds well and just work up the best load you can.

This was with factory Prime @ 500 yds, 130 Sierra HPBT. Copper fouls something awful, but dang.

Attachments

• 20230930_102032.jpg
    20230930_102032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
I have found Berger Classics to like a .006 jump or more. I'd load to mag length then adjust powder buy.003 increments to narrow down your best group, I then go to .001 increments to find the sweet spot. All my rifles shoot very well with this method. All sub MOA and most less the 1/2" these are five shot groups. I test first with 3 shot until I narrow ot down then shoot five shot groups. I load all tests in 5 shot when I find a sweet load even in the .003 ladder, I send 2 more to confirm. I know it may use some components but I feel accuracy is worth it. some times I find the load in the begining of the ladder. if so I pull the rest. I normallt start with 10 steps in my ladder at (.003) then 6 steps at (.001)

.090 off the lands could be a _long_ ways off the lands.

If I were to engage you in conversation (considering that most folks shooting the 6.5 Creedmore are looking for tack-driving accuracy), I'd suggest you start at the lands and work your way back to magazine length. You might find that rifle is a .1 MOA shooter @.002 off the lands. Then what do you do?

I'm not seeing depth insensitivity with the 140EHs in my 260 though I suspect it may have more to do with my barrel than seating depth per se. Groups are subpar for my standards. Still looking for a decent load.

OP - I'd start at you max mag length and work back from there. You will find a load it likes at some point.

On all my guns I load to mag length which, sometimes, is .140 off the lands. Find a load that shoots best and go deeper in .010" increments, if necessary. I've never had one that won't shoot using this method. Don't get hung up on land distance. With a mag, the mag length is your "land" distance. You'll find something that shoots.

.090 off the lands could be a _long_ ways off the lands.

If I were to engage you in conversation (considering that most folks shooting the 6.5 Creedmore are looking for tack-driving accuracy), I'd suggest you start at the lands and work your way back to magazine length. You might find that rifle is a .1 MOA shooter @.002 off the lands. Then what do you do?
You don't lol. .1 moa rifle is a benchrest gun. Shooting a .1 group and having a .1 moa rifle are 2 different things. That being said unless you want to single load you start at mag length. Everyone thinks you have to be close. Not so. In fact precision rifle blog posted a stud that found around .060 off was more forgiving because your not chasing the lands. If your seating depth is that sensitive and that close your goung to be chasing it.

You don't lol. .1 moa rifle is a benchrest gun. Shooting a .1 group and having a .1 moa rifle are 2 different things. That being said unless you want to single load you start at mag length. Everyone thinks you have to be close. Not so. In fact precision rifle blog posted a stud that found around .060 off was more forgiving because your not chasing the lands. If your seating depth is that sensitive and that close your goung to be chasing it.
Just to be clear, I don't claim the gun can do that day in, day out. Just had an exceptional day at the range that day. But I have to admit, it's one of the most accurate guns I own.

And great point concerning the forgiveness having some jump can provide.

Not familiar with your rifle, if its a detachable mag this probably won't work. But I've loaded Berger VLD for guys that wanted them so much that their rifles were turned into two round guns because I had to set the bullet so close to the lands that it no longer fit a internal box. But one in the box and one in the chamber worked. You just couldn't get two rounds in the box.