Bullet recovered form elk

ewallace

444973-big.jpg

This was a 300g SMK recovered from a elk I shot this year 69.55g of bullet parts were found in the skin. There was a small exit wound and the lead was parsley threw the skin. Shot was 10 yards quartering away 36" of penitration. Rifle 338 Nawakwa 10 Twist Broughton barrel.

Pop,

3 feet of penetration at 10 yards, I have a hard time believing any premium bullet out there would do better under this extreme test.

Crow Mag,

What the heck, was the elk attacking you and you had to shoot it at 10 yards!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kidding aside, any elk at any range is a good elk!!

Thanks for the report on the lowly 300 gr SMK.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fair enough Kirby.

Let's just say a premium may not have done better but would look better, and that makes me feel better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
a premium may not have done better but would look better, and that makes me feel better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fresh elk steaks grilled up would make me feel better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have used some of the "premium bullet" with bad results at shots over 600 yards may as well used a FMJ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This elk was blown off its feet to say the least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I was on my way to a long range ridge when I located the elk and put a stalk on them. Rifle is a 20 pound gun that I have been using for long range hunting for 3 years and it has now killed form 10 yards to 2042 yards with 300g SMKs.

Good job Crow Mag!

could you smell the burnt hair??LOL
Why didn't you just stab it?
Was this the first Elk "draw" hunt in Colo?
Sounds like you had some bad luck with the weather and other "stuff" glad you connected on your Elk!

CAM

At such a close range IT JUST HAD TO BE SELF-DEFENSE!!!
Great job! I can smell those yummy grilled backstraps!

Thanks Crow Mag
Looks like you left just in the nick of time!!
Dumped pretty hard in the high country!!
I just assumed the "draw" ether sex tag. Sorry
Enjoy the steaks
CAM

so how long did it take to get the range, measure the wind, punch the computer, dial the scope, and get the gun set up for the shot? the gun has killed from 10 to over 2K. that's gonna be tuff to top!

do you touch up the meplates or drill open the hole at all?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.