Bullet Jump

How far is to farm, on bullet jump in a tight throat.

Like everything there is a practical limit and I would say about .250.

I have seen lots of rifles with more than that that shot very well but with more you run
the risk of damaging the bullet from to much speed when striking the lands.

Normally most bullets like .020 or more, unless the rifle is set up to touch the lands and to
deal with more pressure.

Free bore is not an accuracy issue as long as you have a good chamber and good reloading
skills.

The advantage of free bore is the more you have the less pressure you generally have with
the same powder charge helping to utilizes longer barrels.

J E CUSTOM

As you get closer to the lands, you build more pressure and have more heat.

As you get further away from the lands, you build less pressure/heat. BUT you have the harsh impact of the bullet as it is going much faster when it makes contact. There is a compromise, but I can't say where it is. I would start with .04 personally.

Start with a touch (if possible), watch your work-up, then back off as needed. Just gotta see what a particular rifle and bullet like.

In my tight throat rifles I have used from .010 to .075. I have two 6.5x284's that have produced the best accuracy results in the .070-.075 range using 140 Berger Hunting VLD's. I used the method described on the Berger site and it worked well. Prior to that I was seating fairly tight(less than .025) and experiencing higher pressures and larger groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.