Bullet drop chart on rifle

NONYA

I have been doing this for a few years now and Im wondering if its a common practice.I left a square un-camoed on the stock and wrote in my drop chart for quik reference in the field,dont even have to move the rifle,just pick up my head and read.My hunting pardner of the last 1.5 years is a active duty13 year vetran SF sniper and has these on his m14 and m24 sniper rifles.He has really taught me alot about long range shooting and mine has improved greatly while shooting with him,I used to think 600 yards was gonna be my long range limit,now im thinking 750 is very doable with him spoting for me,he is realy good at reading windage and calling it out so i can adjust.
1bulletdrop.jpg

For "up to certain yardages" it is very common practice. Beyond certain yardages one really needs an in hand calculator for day to day atmosperic conditions. I use a range card on my stock as well as one on the inside of my scope's rear flip up cover so I dont even have to tilt my head. My eyes are always forward.

I carry a chart usually on my ammo box, but will go to my rifle as I have findly found a load I want to stick with , I think. I dial in my yardage and use mil. dots for wind drift.

Yep!

After forgetting my chart. I taped mine on the stock!

Riflewithcomeupsattached003.jpg

I won't ever forget it again!

Chuck

I di dthe same thing for std 150gr 30-06 ammo for my wifes rifle and my own. I printed out the std chart with a 200yrd zero up to 500yrds then laid it on the rifle side under the action opening on the 'face' side and taped over it with a pc of shipping tape. Very low tech but it works great. Yors looks good as well.

I put mine in the flip up cap also it seems to take my abuse better, I lost the one on the stock going through some brush. My brother taped his to the bill on his hat and loves it that way.

I have one taped to my stock for my spotter, if there is one, and I do as Lapua Hunter does. Only not with a bow arm guard. You look like a quarterback giving plays, but who gives a crap it's EFFECTIVE.

I have one on my 300 RUM just like yours out to 1000 YDS, I have killed 2 good bulls by using it 720 and 850 I think it works great.

I have a laminated card,printed both sides to keep it small that I tied to my rear scope ring with parachute cord, I have found it works much better than taping it to the stock. You can keep eye contact with your quarry and check your range card at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.