Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

My daughter gave me some empty once fired. Its the worst stuff I think I've ever seen. Trim lengths span about .008 and the heads look to be cast in a sand mold. Haven't weighed any. Seem to shoot acceptably @ 100 yards.
God, I hope no one from my Gun Club reads this and figures out it's me, LOL, but. The Hornady case's after extensive testing, and my findings are. "OH boy, my fingers are going NUM". The hornady case are pretty easy to work with after annealing. Very consistent, providing that your batch of cases group well in assortment. Of course your only looking at about 4 firings before the primmer falls out. That's loading with RL-26 on the high end with 142gn Sierra HPBT bullets.. I have loaded some of the most accurate ammo in this configuration using Hornady Brass. But after the 3rd or 4th firing it all goes to crap." Counter productive." I'm also a Lapua Fan Boy, and I stick pretty much to Lapua Brass for all my needs. But if I had to use a cheap factory for the 6.5CM. It would be the Hornady White Tail. It just plain out works.

Last edited:
I got one for my .30 LARA and it works great.

Yes, That die is pretty effective in what it was design to do. I don't get to play with a lot of case mods like this, on that level. But one day I hope to. John's shop, Whidden Gun Works is about a 20 minute drive from my front door. So I take advantage of going over there when time permits. I'm Like a Kid in a candy store the moment I pull in the drive way.:) I'm in the process of ordering a 21Centry Hydro Press from 21Centry, and when the comment came up about the hydro Die in the early post, it caused my brain to fart. LOL, It couldn't find the stored memory to complete the thought process." Old age Creeping up." Thanks to you & WYOHTF yawl got me back on track. Thanks,

Be it a, Hobby, Novice, Amateur, or Professional Shooter.,,, The best of store bought ammo or reloaded,,, The best rifle, man has ever made. The best reloading equipment man can buy, and Perfect Practice Sections. The Biggest Variable and weakest Link, Will be YOU, the SHOOTER, AWAYS.,,,"HUMAN ERROR",,, Unless your name is,
JERRY MICULEK.
Doesn't matter WHAT your name is. Human error is alive and well. Jerry would be the first to agree.

First off most guys who shoot out multiple barrels a year in multiple rifles know they are expendable. The most important factor in this entire equation is the bullet. If you can pay to shoot out multiple barrels you can pay to shoot up premium bullets. Last time I emptied my trash can beside my press it had something like 22 empty berger boxes 36 empty Sierra boxes and the remaining 20 or so a split of partitions accubonds and elds.

if you can't pay to practice then you shouldn't play. Trainer rifles are fantastic. If it's a close of your hunting rig and has a nearly identical curve.

whoever said practice makes perfect is a liar. Perfect practice makes perfect.
I concur on the practice sir

That's the beauty of having "personal" choices for end-users' intended purpose. I would rather have plenty of bullets to choose from than NOT having them at all. No one is forcing anyone to use them, but they are available for those that want to use them; it really is that simple.

Sometimes people forget that this website is founded for LRH/S minded shooters and hunters.

Cheers!
Well said and as pointed out before each to their own and long range is not the same to all. Enjoy this site everyone I do and have learned much here! Happy New Year everyone! Tribb

I haven't read this entire thread but I will tell you that that my 1/7 223 shooting 88 elds will hang with most rifles out to 800 yards and I've shot 6 creed, 6xc, 6brx and many other calibers. The bullets, brass( I shoot lapua) and powder are cheaper and you might drop a couple points past 800 maybe I've shot it to 1200 on a 12 round plate but inside 800 all factors including wind are near equal

You got that right. I have all types of casing die, and the other items need to complete the process too. Get yourself a good loading manual on shooting lead bullets. 300 pounds will go a long ways.
Reply To Mike Matteson:
The cost of lead because of EPA Sanctions has almost completely dried up here in South Western Florida .(not sure about of your state of Missouri)

I have in the past been allowed to salvage fired projectiles by extracting them from the berm at my Gun Club.
Now even that due to safety concerns it is no longer permitted !

With that being said I would make an assumption that because of restrictions that are being enforced, lead supplies are dwindling and if you find it like everything else you will be paying a premium price tag.
In that light it is almost cheaper as well as safer ( due to the ingestion of lead and it's potentially dangerous health hazards that may be incurred to purchase commercial bullets for handloading if you can find them. )
IMHO:
It is preciously this reason that I have ceased using cast bullets for pistol reloading, it's just at least to me not worth the risks that are involved.

Last edited:
The cost of lead because of EPA sanctions has almost completely dried up here in South Western Florida.
I have in the past been allowed to salvage fired projectile by extracting them from the berm at my local range
Now even that due to safety concerns is no longer permitted !
With that being said I would make an assumption that because of restrictions that are being enforced, lead supplies are dwindling and if you find it like everything else you will be paying a premium price tag.
In that light it is almost cheaper as well as safer ( due to the ingestion of lead and it's potentially dangerous health hazards that may be incurred to buy commercial bullets for handloading )
IMHO:
It is preciously this reason that I have ceased using cast bullets for pistol reloading, it's just at least to me not worth the risks that are involved.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.