bullet and load for Africa plains game

Wyodog

I bought a hunt in Africa and I am wanting to use a 300 RUM, strictly for plains game. I already own a 300 RUM that I'm not using so I'm not looking to buy another rifle. PH say most shots are 100 to 200 yards so I don't need to worry about long range capabilities. I'm thinking I would like to use something like a nosler partition or swift A frame at around 200 guns. I am interested in suggestions and ideas. I also think I may want to load it down a little bit because on TV see a lot of standing shots on shooting sticks and I'm thinking a little lower recoil might be a good idea.

Baboon, Gemsbok, Warthogs, Impala, Springbuck, Kudu, Wildbeest, and Zebra all fell to a .30-06 and 180 grain Nosler Partitions. My longest shot was 130ish yards. You may be shooting from a enclosed blind. Bring ear muffs.

Good luck

Jerry

Nosler partion. Only other me I would and do use a the CEB raptor. Those have been devistating on animals for me. Rarely us my partion a any more with 30 cal and up. Still use them on my smaller than .30 cause the petals of the raptor become to light I feel.

Last trip to Africa last year I used 160 br AB's out of my 7mm at about 3000 FPS. Very good results. Many African ph's like the Barnes TTSX's. Swift A frames are also good. At your speeds the tops of a partition are likely to detach. They were the gold standard, but some of the newer bullets seem to be more consistent. You might have a look at the Africa.com web site for more info on Africa hunting. From pre and post hunt info to bullets and taxidermist recommendations. Lots of very good info there for you. Great place to help you plan a safari. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.