Building a Volquartsen .17HMR opinions please.

Plinker

Northern tip of California, Mt. Shasta in my back
Hi, new member to the site, and would like to solicit some opinion on the Volquartsen .17HMR. I am looking specifically at the fluted & compensated models (both the "snake" and regular fluted models).

I would love to hear from anyone on the following:

1) Overall feedback on the Volquartsen.

2) I am considering the Burris Fullfield 2, 4.5-14x42 A/O with the Zee Signature medium rings. I am looking at the mildot and ballistic plex reticles. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with these as I will be sending the scope to Burris for the reticle and would like to get it right the first time given the additional cost.

3) Anyone used the Boyds, Ross model, thumbhole stock and opinion.

4) Favorite ammo and why. I will be shooting ground squirrels, paper, plinking and maybe some coyotes.

Thanks in advance. Great site, tons of excellent information from you fellow members. I recently retired and plan on getting a lot of enjoyment from this gun and want to make the right choices on it the first go.

Howdy, I have delt with Volquartsen on one of my rimfires. I believe they have a great product, alittle pricey but you can definetly see the quality.

I built a 17 Mach 2 about 3 years ago. It just had a standard stainless match grade bull barrel, nothing fancy. I put the barrel on a ruger 10/22 aluminum action. Had the trigger worked down to a crisp 1.5 pound.

Dropped it in a Hogue overmolded stock. Volquartsen recommended the CnC machined bolt to accomidate the 17 mach 2 cartridge, when converting a rifle from 22lr. Due to the increased recoil thrust on the bolt and spring. Its a real slick setup, never fails in feeding or extraction.

For cleaning, Volquartsen dosn't recommend the use of a cleaning rod. So I do it the hard way, I use a fishing line with a patch& butches bore shine. The cleaner that you keep these barrels the better they shoot.

Its not hard at all to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. With Hornady V-max bullets. My dads marlin 17hmr, shoots this ammo well, better than speer tnt. Or Hornady 20 grain hollow point.

If I had to do it over again... I would just buy a Volquartsen rifle. They have so many options and models. It really is a custom deal. It would have costed alittle more, but your getting a custom action that the barrel is threaded, rather than drop in like the ruger conversions. They are guarenteed to shoot good. And I would get 17 Hmr, because it looks like this one will be around for a while. Don't know about the 17 mach 2, alot of manufactures have already dropped this cartridge.

Thanks Fly. I came to the same conclusion about just going ahead and springing for the whole gun, given I am fussy and suffer from OCD when it comes to my sporting equipment... On cleaning recomendations, I assume Volquartsen is concerned about crown damage from the cleaning rods?
Dam, fishing line? How often is the recommended cleaning, every use???

Appreciate the response.

Yep, crown damage was the reason why. I know some guys take their 10/22's and drill the rear of the receiver, a small hole for their cleaning rod. Then pop the bolt out for cleaning. But, I will just use my fishing line.

I get lazy and clean it everyonce in a while. I just think groups get bigger when I shoot a couple of boxes through, from carbon hardly any copper fouling.

Another option, I really like the Cooper 17hmr. I don't own one. But the one I did see was pretty outstanding. They too have an accuracy guarentee.

Cooper

Just looked at their site. Very nice. The western classic looks very close to a custom .270 my grandfather built for me. I have gotten hooked on semi-autos though having been weaned on a little Browning .22 auto. Great variety also, even more than Volquartsen. Just a roundabout way of saying I'm too lazy to cyle the action...

I went on the Volquarsten webpage. Before I built mine, I ordered a catolog from them that had all their models and parts.

Which model caught your eye? I think I like the "Standard Model Semi-Auto Rimfire". I think these things have an adjustable trigger, too.

Another thing that stinks, when I built mine I thought I could use a bannana clip magazine. Well, the 17 mach 2 dosn't feed at all out of a Butlercreek 25 round magazine. The tips point downward, because of the bottleneck. The magazines were designed for a straight wall 22lr.

Let us know what you pick, they are all good choices as far as I'am concerned.

I am looking at the Deluxe model and the snake fluted high $ model. I really like the looks of the deluxe but a local North CA dealer has a bunch in stock, so I am headed down there this Saturday to figure out what exactly I want. Volquartsen makes 25 round mags for, if I remember correctly, both the 17HMR and the 17mach2. Kind of pricey at $89, but I figure I need at least one for all the ground squirrels around here.

Plinker, I am very happy with my Volquartzen. I only wish I had gone with a stiffer stock than the Hogue. My friend borrowed mine (still has it) and when he decided to buy one I advised him to get the laminated stock which is much stiffer for use with a bipod.

Also, a different friend advised me on which scope he uses. It is the only one he could find that focuses close enough for some of those plinking or small bird opportunities. I got one as a result.

I can't think of the model right now but if you are interested I'll email him.

Sure Len, I may pick the gun up today so I would be interested on any potential scope for it. If you have any opinion on the Burris I mentioned earlier I'd like to hear that also. What kind of optics did you put on yours?
This Volquartsen will likely not see much work under 50 yards (but you never know) out to 300 or so.
Do you have any ammo preference target & varmit?

I use the Hornady VMax ammo.

I may not know the scope id until Sunday night. No knowledge on the Burris.

Thanks Len.
I will see if I can compare the two. Any idea where Bushnell is have their scopes made these days? Appreciate the feedback on stock selection and I am going to go with a laminate. I may well have an extra Volquartsen laminated stock as I am thinking about replacing what comes on it with an aftermarket, laminated, thumbhole. If you have any interest on a good deal for the factory stock let me know (most likely the stock on the Deluxe model).

Eric

No idea on where they are made...

I have the lightweight carbon fiber wrapped barrel on mine. Which barrel are you getting? If your factory "brown laminated wood stock" stock would fit, and depending on price, I would be interested.

Actually, I'll be seeing Jack's for the first time tomorrow.

Finally got to see them up close...

After looking at all Volquartsen models available, I settled on the snake fluted, forward blow, compensated model. It is is a very striking gun, and I'm just watching the hours pass until the 10 day wait period is up. The light weight model with the carbon wrapped barrel (Len has one) was a very close second and the weight difference between the two guns is quite substantial. These guns have the best triggers I have yet tried.

230 hours to go and counting.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.