Building a Varmint Rifle

Montanasloth

I'm not 100% sure on what I really want to do for my fist big game rifle build, so while is figure that out I thought maybe I would try to build up the Remington 788 in 243 win that I have in the safe for a more accurate varmint/plinking rifle. I am 99% sure I will need a new stock, thinking a Boyds prairie hunter and then I will need to come up with some new glass for it as I will most likely use this to be my long range practice gun, I don't think the 3-9X40 will cut it once I actually start getting her stretched out. I will be reloading for his gun so bullet suggestions would be helpful, as I'm not sure what the factory twist is and what I could get to stabilize. as far as a barrel goes I'm thinking the barrel is still good but I will have to see once I shoot it. I was thinking I could get this all done for probably $700? assuming the barrel isn't toast I think that will be easily doable. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Montanasloth,

The first thing to establish is the condition of the barrel, especially if the original owner was a varmint shooter. Have a gunsmith scope the barrel carefully, this after you have cleaned it thoroughly of course. Be sure to check the muzzle as well as the throat for wear or abuse. A new crown can make a world of difference in accuracy but only if the chamber/throat warrants it.

The factory barrel for the M788 was a 1:9" twist based on the factory list I have. This should be sufficient for everything except the longest, heaviest VLD bullets. But if you have to replace the factory barrel for any reason, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 1:8" or even a 1:7.7" which is available through Bartlein. I would then suggest going with a 26" barrel and slightly bigger contour.

The Boyd Bros. make an O.K. stock based on the cost but I would also suggest having the barreled action pillar bedded as a matter of course. Be sure to have the remaining barrel channel coated to prevent moisture from changing the stock. I also remove the butt pad and coat that area also.

Scopes, like most other decision about rifles, are personal as to what you need or require to be more precise and accurate with any given rifle. I don't have very many scopes but the ones I own are the best and as a result pretty expensive. This way I don't ever have to second guess my glass. I do understand that everyone doesn't need the very best glass but I always suggest avoiding the bottom layers and even some of the intermediate layers when the quality doesn't add up to the cost.

Go to a store and actually handle and look through some of the moderately priced scopes. Judge the clarity and just as important, the reticle design to get a better idea of what you like and what works for you.

Buy good rings, not those stupid twist in things but good Picatinney rings with a good rail. You might look at the Burris Signature Rings™ with ***-Align® Inserts.

Enjoy the process!

The gun was my dad's and my uncles before his and it was used mostly for deer and elk ( I know a little small but pops got it done more than once) until he picked up a 30-06. so the barrel is a toss up. I'm really looking at a new stock because the current one is in pretty bad shape. I will be avoiding bottom of the barrel scopes since I now have an appreciation for better than that glass ( Bushnell Banner to Leupold VX-2 made a huge difference) rings are something I didn't even think about. I appreciate you input and advice!

I would put something like a Leupold VX3 in a set of Burris Sig rings. You probably need a new barrel, get have your gunsmith recommend a quality tube. The old Rem 788 triggers were not great, you may want a replacement. My best advice would be to sell the 788 and buy a new, good quality rifle.

The above poster meant Burris Zee rings they fit weaver style bases among others . Sounds like there's Lots sentimental vale attached to this 788/243. Look up 308 Nate he's a great gunsmith that posts here . good luck & regards jjmp

The above poster meant Burris Zee rings they fit weaver style bases among others . Sounds like there's Lots sentimental vale attached to this 788/243. Look up 308 Nate he's a great gunsmith that posts here . good luck & regards jjmp

Actually he meant the Burris Signature Zee rings. The regular z rings don't have the inserts which can be very helpful in some instances...

Tony.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.