A Vickery? varmint rifle?

wildcat westerner

Hello, I have traded for this commercial Mauser singleshot with set triggers. It has a Myrtle(?) stock with fine custom checkering and inlays, a heavy 26 inch barrel (.946) at muzzle and a Balvar 6 x 24 scope made by Bausch and Lomb. The weapon is pristine. The single shot conversion is marked "Vickery" on the bottom and I note on Google that this gunsmith wrote a book about gunsmithing back in the 1940's so I have no idea as to when this was built, exactly. It is a 22-250 and we shall be borescoping it next weekend to see if any throat is left, before firing it.
I note the long barrel is bedded clear to the rosewood forend. I have seen very old benchrest rifles in Seattle. They had huge, unlimited blocks of walnut for stocks and very heavy, long barrels longer, than this in .22-250 and .220 Wilson Arrow ( swift). So before we do anything to this rifle that I want to use for prairie dogs this year I could use any knowledgeable insights into proper bedding for such a long barrelled weapon. The set trigger is as light as any of my Jewells', but you don't see these on target rifles anymore. This is the first time I have ever seen this Balvar scope in person ,although I remember first seeing it on a Jack O' Connor image in one of his articles on varmint rifles.
I do not expect to be able to convert this weapon into a 6PPC accurate weapon, but if I can modify it without destroying its value and make it precise for prairie dogs, to go along with my .243 and .244, hat would be a pretty special result. Any info on obtaining a PDF file of an owners manual for this Balvar 6x24 would really be appreciated. I know the former owner had trouble zeroing it, which is why I ended up with the rifle.

Thanks readers, who have been very helpful to me before.
i

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0523.jpg