Building a Target Frame

C.O. Shooter

Well I wanted to make a portable target frame for long range shooting! This is my first attempt at this so here it goes! I made a few errors along the way, but I'm sure I'll be replacing the legs to my frame at some point. I got maybe 30$ in wood and hardware total! Build time, under 2 hours!

I got the ideas from the following and made some minor changes:
http://www.modernbushman.com/2012/06/26/ar500-steel-target-review-diy-target-stand/
http://www.modernbushman.com/2012/08/31/diy-target-stand-update-by-roy/

This was 2 - 2x4x10s cut in half!

Attachments

Last edited:

C.O. Shooter

So I wanted use wing nuts for my top board so I could collapse and carry this. I drilled through for my bolts! This is why I went 4" down instead of 3" down. Drilled 5/16" holes! Should have set holes at 1" and 2 1/2" down from top.

Attachments

Last edited:

C.O. Shooter

This is the board which will be used to hang my target from and connect both sets of legs. Drilled 5/16" holes! This shows my mistake!

Attachments

Last edited:

C.O. Shooter

Finished product! I used 2 - 2ft sections of heavy duty chain for my plate. The chain is too long but that's an easy fix. My plate will be 3/8" AR500 24"x24". I did a pull up on this frame so I think it will hold a 61 lbs plate! I'll post additional pictures when I get my plate and get it hung up!

Attachments

Last edited:

br45zy

Looks more than strong enough for the weight but the bullet fragments will probably tear up the wood pretty quickly.
This is what the fragments do to my stands.

Two 20' sticks of 3/4" rebar can make three stands and usually cost less than $15 ea.

Cuz

Found theese for sale locally for about 30 bucks. Makes an "A" frame using t-post. Can be assembled or broken down in less than a minute.

Attachments

Trending threads