Building a 20BR

REDVANES

LRH Sponsor
I've decided my next build is going to be a 20BR. The PWH guys rave about theirs so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Those 55gr Bergers look like a lot of fun!... hoping for 3550+??

Action - Mac Bros Stainless Evo II
Stock - Manners EH1-A
Barrel - Benchmark Carbon Sendero Lite 24"
Bottom Metal - Hawkins Hunter M5 DBM w/ Hunter Mag (w/ BR spacer kit)
Trigger - TT Special

I'm a little stumped on barrel twist. It seems half the guys are using a 1-8 and the other half 1-9.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome build! My buddy @Redfoot Ranch has a 20x47 Lapua sending the 55 Berger's at Mach speeds. It's a blast! I don't remember his twist off the top of my head, but whatever it is works and shoots great.

Sounds like an awesome build! My buddy @Redfoot Ranch has a 20x47 Lapua sending the 55 Berger's at Mach speeds. It's a blast! I don't remember his twist off the top of my head, but whatever it is works and shoots great.
Yeah I gave the 20x47 a thought also. Just a little more powder burn then what I'm looking for. Sounds incredible though!

Last edited:
I'm a little stumped on barrel twist. It seems half the guys are using a 1-8 and the other half 1-9.
1-9 i know couple guys who shot a 20BRAI like mine in BR competition and they've tested both and say 9 is better and I agree.

if you check out the Berger stability calculator, it claims the 1:9 isn't enough. Just reach out the PWH boys, they are super guys and would be happy to help/answer any questions you may have but they are running 1:8 twists benchmarks.

I was going do the same but going to with a 22bra to try. Maybe a 20br is in the future

if you check out the Berger stability calculator, it claims the 1:9 isn't enough. Just reach out the PWH boys, they are super guys and would be happy to help/answer any questions you may have but they are running 1:8 twists benchmarks.

I was going do the same but going to with a 22bra to try. Maybe a 20br is in the future
I reached out to them last week as well and am getting their reamer print from the gunsmith that chambered their barrels. I knew L.Sherm above has first hand experience as well with the cartridge. Just trying to get all the I fo I can before deciding. Thanks!

I reached out to them last week as well and am getting their reamer print from the gunsmith that chambered their barrels. I knew L.Sherm above has first hand experience as well with the cartridge. Just trying to get all the I fo I can before deciding. Thanks!
Oh good! Dennis at go ballistic gunsmith is fantastic too! Hes doing my 22bra build. He's done my last 5-6 builds

Oh good! Dennis at go ballistic gunsmith is fantastic too! Hes doing my 22bra build. He's done my last 5-6 builds
I thought about a 22bra as well. It looks awesome! I already have a 22CM though and am really intrigued with the 20cal 55 Bergers so 20br it is!

When you get your rifle finished, please do a write up about it. I'd love to hear all about it.

I thought about a 22bra as well. It looks awesome! I already have a 22CM though and am really intrigued with the 20cal 55 Bergers so 20br it is!

When you get your rifle finished, please do a write up about it. I'd love to hear all about it.
Fair enough. I have a 20 tac done up by Dennis at go ballistic gunsmithing with 2 barrels so I figured they were too close so I'd try the 22 instead. Once I burn them out I'd probably go 20 br instead.

Will do, and you do the same! Still collecting parts at the moment

I had a couple. Both 9 twist. Both extremely accurate. One liked RL15 the other RL17. Both over 3600 from 26" barrels. They were hot but I think 3550" from a 24" even though I don't get the point. I would actually go longer if I were to do another.

Calculators are just that, what it doesn't take into consideration is throat wear or real world experience.
I did alot of talking to people before I built mine and built my 20BRAI, you hear all the talk about things that make a gun not shoot. Its a 3G 9T button barrel ( i made)
Fluted barrel, contured after the heat treat process, brake, untouched 700sa, and a thumb hole stock.
The only thing I did was put a 10oz kit in the trigger and bed it.
Thats 3-55 Berger holes

Attachments

• 20201218_060131.jpg
    20201218_060131.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 40
Well you definitely can't argue the results people are getting with the 9 twists that's for sure, you just think the calculator would be a little bit closer. If I recall it even says the 8 barely stabilizes it. Regards it seems like an awesome caliber and a lot of fun!