Bucket list hunt fulfilled.

Unit 21. I doubt he'll go 170" But I'm not good at judging them.
Unit 21 isn't known for big rams. Genetics are not great and pretty harsh winters keep the age down. I could have held out for a bigger/older ram but this one was the best mature ram I seen that wasn't broomed off real badly.
Boy, he sure looks a lot bigger than that, but pics are tough to judge. Congrats again, he is a beautiful Ram and so symmetrical looking! Well done! I used to be decent at judging, but that was yrs ago and from videos. I guessed mine at 183 and he was 186 3/8

If you never get another chance - you'll never forgot this one! Congratulations on a great hunt and trophy.
I'll definitely never forget it. It was a amazing experience, thankfully that area is close to home so I can go back anytime.
I have to wait six years to start applying for rocky's so I'm going to start applying for desert bighorn. They live within a couple miles of my house.
Resized952021080895170028.jpg

This hunt has been a long time dream of mine come true. I first became interested in bighorn as a kid listening to my father talk about two rams butting heads while he was deer hunting around blue mesa reservoir.
When my wife and I were married in 2011 my father-in-law and I were talking hunting one night while having a few beers and decided to start applying for a license in our home state of Colorado. I lucked out first and drew this year. So it has been a hectic few months preparing. As soon as I found out I drew I started on a diet and hiking more, getting gear ordered and tested, prepping a gun and optics and scouting as much as weather and work would allow.
Gun specs: Semi custom Rem 700 bdl
6.5 Sherman Short
24" Bartlein 3b 1:8 twist
Ziess v4 4-16x44
Carbon fiber Mcmillan game hunter edge fill
Timney trigger
Berger 156 EOL
After practicing to 1000 yards regularly I ended up with a 413 yard chip shot.

View attachment 395413View attachment 395414View attachment 395415
Congrats, that is a beautiful ram!. I have found that the more I practice at 600 tp 1200 when I get those closer shots they seem so much easier.