BT's and AB's out of 300SAUM

Casey Napier

BT\'s and AB\'s out of 300SAUM

Did a little range work this evening and I was pleased to see that Nosler Accubonds shoot to the same POI as my old faithful BT's. Both were 150 Gr. 30 Cal, shot out of a straight factory 300 SAUM Sendero. The load is 60 Gr. of Varget, in a Remington case, COL of 2.825. This load produced a one hole 4 shot group with 2 BT's and 2 AB's.
Just a little information for any one who cares. I was pleased to see this because I plan on using the AB's in the woods were shots will be under 100 yards, and the BT's when I hunt clear cuts and power lines. I can take both and use them accordingly.

RidgeRooster

Re: BT\'s and AB\'s out of 300SAUM

Not sure of your velocity, but the Accubond should be good past 500 yards ( using the 1800 fps Nosler minimum ).

edge.

All work no play make for a bad day... After doing some work @ the ranch a friend and I had some target practice out of one of our blinds. We were shooting @ a 10" T-1 round steel gong. My friend was shooting the BT 150gr out of his .308 & I was shooting a 130gr Accubond out of my .270WSM. Target was set up @ 275yrd. We each hit it & you could see the difference in the two bullets. The BT made a big splatter with no indentions & the accubond dug into the T-1.. Thought I would share the bullet performance from this weekend....

1800 fps minimum? Is that the minimum for optimum performance with the Accubonds?

I guess the idea that I have is that if am going to hunt a location where the minimum shot will likley be 150 to 200 yards, and max being around 500, the Ballistic Tip may be the better choice. The reason that I came to this conclusion is that I should be getting 3100 give or take 100 fps (I have not cronyed this load yet, just going by the Nosler manual that is usually pretty accurate) and optimum bullet performance from the BT's should be under 3000 fps, and at 100+ yards I will be under that max recommended vilocity. When I hunt with this rifle in the woods, shots will be under 100, so the controlled expansion of the AB will be the better choice.
Am I on the right track with this thinking, since they both shoot to the same POI @ 100?
I have shot BT's for 15 years or so, just guessing, I really can not remimber not using BT's. I have killed deer with BT's from 15 to 409 yards, but after reading so much contriversy on them, people have given me the idea that I may have been using the wrong bullet all this time even though I have probably killed 40+ deer with them over the years. I have never experienced any bullet failur that people talk about, and have used them in all sorts of caliburs from standard to magnum. I also killed three Alabama bucks with this particular 300 SAUM last year, at ranges not exceding 100 yards, with 150gr. BT's.

I am looking for everyones ideas and opinions!

Thanks and excuse my spelling!

RidgeRooster

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.