Browning X-Bolt base thread issues

NavyChief

While perusing Gunbroker for the final Kimber for the collection I ran across a Browning X-Bolt misprinted in an auction. While the X-Bolt has never appealed to me visually, the Browning A-bolt II has served me very well in a 7mm Rem, 280 Rem, 270 Win, and a light little 7mm08 Stalker, so I figured why not. It is a Stainless Synthetic in 270 Win that is New in the Box, and while I have plenty rifles in 270 I never feel like I have enough. To shorten the story, I got it for 709$ which included shipping and when it arrived everything looked great. Having had a bad experience with another gun recently, I really checked this one over. All was well until I got home and began mounting the scope.

I used Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings and the front base went right in there with all 4 screws seating well and locking up tight. The rear base was a different story. 2 of the female holes were apparently stripped (somehow) because the screws wouldn't even start. I did what I could and figured why not, I forced the screw in the base hoping to get the threads aligned but it just stripped the screw. I have a large box of Leupold base/ring screws so I just went through a few until it felt like things were getting better. Of course eventually one screw felt completely stripped and just kept turning. I pulled the Leupold screws out and had some old Redfield screws with the same thread pattern but I knew they were just a little larger. In the end I got all four screws in tight and they have enough locktite so that it will likely take a torch and a drill press to remove the base. I mounted the rings and the scope and figured what the heck, if it shoots and holds zero then who cares, right? I didn't want to send the gun back because I knew the dealer would gladly provide a cash refund which is not what I wanted. I didn't want to send the gun back to the factory because I feared that would take forever and I didn't want to tap out the base holes to larger threads because I figured I can always do that later if I have to. Should I have to remove the base, I can by drilling the screws out and tapping new larger threads in the back base and open up the holes on the Leupold base to accept the larger screws. I know this is not an ideal situation but I am just hoping to get a little reassurance from someone who has done this for themselves, or maybe a customer, and things worked out fine for years. If I get to shoot the gun for 10 or 15 years then I got my moneys worth because it is going to be a loaner/beat 'em up gun when I don't want my AA and AAA wood to take a pounding. Hopefully someone can share a little experience and make me feel a little more confident in my mounting set up. By the way, I used blue loctite and only heavily on the base screws. The rings were mounted normally so I can change scopes if I ever need to. I figured in the worst case scenario; I would just get a good welder to run a bead around both and have a good smith polish the bead and be done with it. Any help here?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts