Rebarreling a Browning X-Bolt

Darryle

Most gunsmiths won't hesitate to screw on a new barrel, but most I have spoke with are hesitant or down right refuse to attempt to remove a barrel.

I have a nearly new stainless 30'06 that I have shot maybe a dozen times. It has at most 200rds thru it. I was never satisfied with the results of any load I tried, even some proven loads in various rifles. It is minute of deer or barn depending on the distance.

Now onto the question, how would you attempt to remove the old barrel. I was thinking about chucking up in the lathe and center up on chamber after cutting the barrel off and cut out until I can see the start of the threads and then pick out the remains.

I am all ears if you have a better idea.

You need the action wrench that clamps to the outside, you don't want the pressure it's going to take to get it off on your raceways…my opinion.

I'd try heat first…then I'd chuck it up and run a parting tool right up as close as you can to the action shoulder, without touching it. It'll break free but be trash when you're done.

A good barrel vise from LRI or Short action custom and a action wrench that bolts to the outside of the receiver will take it apart.Good luck

You need the action wrench that clamps to the outside, you don't want the pressure it's going to take to get it off on your raceways…my opinion.

I'd try heat first…then I'd chuck it up and run a parting tool right up as close as you can to the action shoulder, without touching it. It'll break free but be trash when you're done.

I skip the heat and go straight to the Parting tool ... Same way we use to get US Enfields off without breaking the Action ... They almost unscrew by hand ...

I have only taken 2 apart.Maybe I got lucky ? I have read the same thing about Weatherby but I have taken 4 apart also.Good luck

Most gunsmiths won't hesitate to screw on a new barrel, but most I have spoke with are hesitant or down right refuse to attempt to remove a barrel.

I have a nearly new stainless 30'06 that I have shot maybe a dozen times. It has at most 200rds thru it. I was never satisfied with the results of any load I tried, even some proven loads in various rifles. It is minute of deer or barn depending on the distance.

Now onto the question, how would you attempt to remove the old barrel. I was thinking about chucking up in the lathe and center up on chamber after cutting the barrel off and cut out until I can see the start of the threads and then pick out the remains.

I am all ears if you have a better idea.
Any chance of sending it back to Browning?

Any chance of sending it back to Browning?
Probably, but I doubt it. It has sat in the safe for years. It is a 2009 model. I bought it, a 223 and a 7mm-08 X-Bolt all at the same time from a dealer closing up shop. He sold them to me at his cost if I agreed to buy a safe I came to look at. I don't think they would be willing to do anything, besides, I have no desire for another '06. I am thinking about a 280 Ackley or possibly a fast twist 25'06.