Browning, Savage, or Tikka?

YODASGHOST

I am thinking that a .270 WSM would be a good thing to have. Alas, I shoot left-handed. Question: What is the general consensus on which is the best-made, best-quality gun: a Browning A-Bolt, a Savage Weather Warrior, or a Tikka T3 Lite? The Browning has a 23" barrel, while the Savage and Tikka have 24" barrels. The Savage and Tikka are similar in that both have stainless barrelled action and composite stock, but the Tikka has that 1" guarantee and, I'm thinking, probably a better stock, albeit at a heftier price. This thing will be used for general hunting, although with that cartridge and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14, it certainly should be able to 'reach out and touch' to any reasonable range.

So...whaddya think?

I have a left-handed Weather Warrior in .300 WSM, with the Buckmaster scope. This combo is a great deal for the money. After a little load development it shoots well under an inch, and in the 0.5" range if I cooperate. Only changes have been a Stockade gun stock, a sling, and a Harris bipod. I probably have less than $1,000.00 in the whole rig, and am pretty happy with it for now.

Savage would be my choice. A far off second would be a tikka. I work on savages alot and have never run into many that didn't shoot well.

[ QUOTE ]
Question: What is the general consensus on which is the best-made, best-quality gun: a Browning A-Bolt, a Savage Weather Warrior, or a Tikka T3 Lite?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don´t personally know about the others but: If you go Tikka route, go T3 Tactical they are very good rifles. Forget "lite".

I´m not saying this just because I happen to use a T3 Tactical. People who shoot a lot have been trading much more expensive rifles (like Steyrs) to T3 Tacticals over here. Accurate and reliable. Nothing fancy though.

I´ve soaked, frozen and overheated mine many times, strict abuse for two years. Probably cleaned it a couple of times, not often at all.

T3 Tactical keeps shooting impressive groups right on the spot, day after day. It´s not picky about ammo either, mine is 300 WM and I wouldn´t hesitate for a second getting another one. An easy shooter right off the box.

Yodasghost,

First thought is for you to "handle them". See what feels good to you. All good choices. I myself have reviewed them & the winner for me was the Tikka SS. The stock is standard synthetic, but the accuracy comes from the barrel ~ they come out of the same factory as SAKO barrels do.. I got my gun it in the .270WSM. I reload myself and have found the 130gr Accubond bullet to be my best bullet. The bolt action is smooth as Silk! The rifle is lite and balanced ~ it just felt good to me. My final load for the .270WSM put's shots in one hole @ 100yds. I use it for deer/hogs. Got a 4-14x44 Zeiss Conquest on it. Great combo. Let us know what you decide on? Have fun!

There is one weird design flaw in T3 Tactical 300 WM though: You can not fit "too long" cartridges in the magazine. This is some legal-security-lawyer thingy, Ive been told.

Anyway,this may be a problem for someone. I thought it would be a problem for me. But it isn´t. We haven´t found ANY difference in accuracy up to 500 meters with , say, 210 Bergers. They just like to be pushed hard,touching the lands made no difference. Two other people with two rifles have made the same notes.

It´s still kinda funny. I think there also is a Sako factory round that won´t fit in the T3 magazine. At least there has been one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a 270 wsm savage and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever had.also have the same in 300 wsm.

I have a Tikka Varmint SS in .308. I really like this rifle. Holds tighter groups than I can shoot.

If I had to buy another I'd probably buy the savage--accutrigger looks safe and nice to shoot. I'm really thinking hte Savage 12 F/TR will be my next LR rig that isn't custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.