tikka vs savage

the "go to round" for decades in the law enforcement and military families was the 30 cal. That alone was my deciding factor in my purchase of the 300 WSM.

This might seem like a silly question/response but, isn't basing your decision on what "law enforcement and military" use different due to a human-being being made of softer tissue than say, an Elk or Moose ?
No disrespect intended, just asking if my point is valid.

This might seem like a silly question/response but, isn't basing your decision on what "law enforcement and military" use different due to a human-being being made of softer tissue than say, an Elk or Moose ?
No disrespect intended, just asking if my point is valid.

I was referring to the availability of projectile choices. The 30 cal (.308) is quite abundant and always will be. Anything from a 110 grain up to 230 grain... varmint through to FMJ. :D

I was referring to the availability of projectile choices. The 30 cal (.308) is quite abundant and always will be. Anything from a 110 grain up to 230 grain... varmint through to FMJ. :D

OK, thanks for clearing that up.
As you can tell, I don't know anything about firearms but, I am willing to learn.

thank you one and all for the input,
Nikon came out with some new scopes that have more power ranges(3.5-14 instead of 3-9 etc..) is the wider range more preferable? and would you go with 40mm or 50mm?

40mm lighter weight. 50 have to be mounted real high to clear the barrel , so your head can't rest on the check rest and see through the scope.

What about rings? Tikkas come with integrated bases would I need to get special rings to use those? or would you go with weaver style bases?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.