browning a.bolt 243 wssm, gunsmithing needed HELP.

timmyatnop

I would like to have a different barrel put on my a bolt . I want to shoot 115 grain bullets , what twist would I need and would 30 inch barrel give me a lot more fps . Also could i load the 115 s in that action it has a littel magazine that pops out the floor plate.

Last edited:
Re: browning a.bolt 243 wssm

The magazine is not a d tachable magazine but it pops out the bottom and swings forward on a hinge. I just don't know if it will hamper me on over all cartridge length ?

Tim, sorry I am slow to respond to your querry, as I haven't been on here for a few days. First, your magazine can be removed from the floor plate of your A-bolt as it is held in place with spring clips, although this will not make any difference (as far as I know) in the COAL of your cartridges. You will probably have to seat bullets to fit your magazine and therefore you will want to have a dummy round made up to fit the magazine so that the smith can cut the chamber accordingly. I don't like a long jump to the lands. The Win short mags seem to be chambered on the short side and that suits me to-a-T. Second: The barrel I would consider for shooting 115 grain bullets would be a Shilen 1/8" Special for shooting VLD bullets. Third: I don't think 30" of barrel will gain anything over a 25" or 26" and may even be determental to velocity. I hope I have helped you but remember these are just my considerations and opinions. Good luck, Dennis

Thanks gunpoor, i was looking at the magazine and theres room behind it if i can somehow lengthen the magizine , i think the 115 would work better. If i cannot lenghton the mag will it affect accuracy and velocity, since the longer 115 will be seated down a littel past the neck of the case.

Savage uses a 30" barrel on their very successful 6 Norma BR 12 F-Class rifle.

It's ugly as sin. So, I suppose they think it's beneficial for long range.

Since you mentioned that you want a repeater, I assume this is for hunting rather than just target. So, you could probably shave a few inches and do just fine.

I think if i sent it to a gunsmith,they would see thats there some extra room behind the flip down magazine, I think they would have a lot better idea on how to lengthen the magazine. I might try to but iam sure my methods are a lot cruder then what a good smith could come up with. I wana send it in and have the action blueprinted and the barred switched , There has to be some way to make it so i can shoot the 115s other than single shot. If anybody has any other idea please leave a post. thanks to those that have replied . KIRBY ALLEN , KEVIN CRAM, SHAWN CLARK. IAM SURE SOMBODY HAS A GOOD IDEA . I JUST WISH I KNEW WHAT IT WAS.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.