Break free cleaner...what's going on?

straightshooter

My brother in law gave me this cleaner. It cleans fine and all, but my rifle shoots high and to the right for 4-5 shots. I know a clean barrel can shoot off before fouling, but with all other cleaners it only shoots off group for 1-2 shots then settles in. Does this happen to anyone else?

Assuming you're speaking of Break Free CLP??

If so, it has alot more oil/lubricant in it than normal cleaning solvents do. Probably the reason for your fouling shots to fly so far out. Even if you dry patch till it appears to be gone, there's still gonna be a fine film of oil left over unless you clean the Break Free out w/ solvent first.

Yes that is very common with most solvents/cleaners/oils. I have using hBN aerosol after cleaning and I have no change of impact at all. Must be applied to bare metal surface with no other lube. After cleaning I swab the bore with brake cleaner to remove any residual solvent and then run 2 patches of hBN then one dry patch. See link below for ordering info if interested.

Lower Friction

My brother in law gave me this cleaner. It cleans fine and all, but my rifle shoots high and to the right for 4-5 shots. I know a clean barrel can shoot off before fouling, but with all other cleaners it only shoots off group for 1-2 shots then settles in. Does this happen to anyone else?

This is very common as others have mentioned. I don't know what you were using before, but it could be that it did a better job of cleaning and thus the larger variation before fouling. Bore tech eliminator is by far the best I've found and won't harm your barrel. Try some after cleaning with something else and see the difference.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.