Brass sticking at all powder charges

How many reloaders do you know with 0.0001" measurement tools? Such tools are actually capable of identifying dimensional changes down to less than 0.00005"

The brass casings themselves most commonly have dimensional tolerances in excess of 0.0001". How do I know? Because I detect dimensional OD variation measurements on my 0.001" Mitutoyo calipers on a common basis. What good does it do to measure background noise inherent in the casing dimensions at the time of manufacture and sale?

Answer? It accomplishes nothing useful. Because excess case strain doesn't even begin until expansion is at least 10 times greater than the 0.00005" that can be detected with a tool certified accurate down to 0.0001" measurement.

All this to say, not every word spoken by Hodgdon is the equivalent of the Gospel.

Last edited:
Spoke with Smith yesterday, rifle headed back today. Rifle was tested with factory ammo, but cases were nickel plated, which may have kept them from jamming the way my brass did. I suspect they were Remington premier 338rum, those are nickel and about the only ammo you can find for the RUM. I have complete faith in their ability to remedy the issue.

Had this same problem w/ 6mm/284W. Found after resizing 284W brass, neck thickness was .022-.024. Neck turned down to .015 and never had another problem.

Soft brass will do what you're seeing too........ A year ago I reloaded some Federal 30-06 Sprg. once fired brass and had the same issue to so don't rule that out either. I just switched to Winchester brass and the issue went away.

You can't argue with the pictures. The smith will make it right. He may set it back and rechamber or polish it out. At any rate it is in the right place now to get it corrected.

sure hope it doesn't have to be set back much if at all. the barrel has a nice ceracoat finish and full length spiral fluting. When I spoke with them on the phone, he suggested that it would probably just need a little fine polishing to smooth out the offending mid body area. ADG brass stepped up and helped out by interpreting my brass measurements. As it seems based on the measurements, the chamber has the very slightest hourglass shape with the middle body being just a touch tighter than it should be.

I don't think it's a lousy chamber if it performs like that
My buddy had a .338 Edge built that was shooting .25" groups at 100 yards with reamer chatter so bad the brass look like it came out of a fluted chamber (because it basically was). Cut back and rechambered and shoots the same.

My buddy had a .338 Edge built that was shooting .25" groups at 100 yards with reamer chatter so bad the brass look like it came out of a fluted chamber (because it basically was). Cut back and rechambered and shoots the same.
I should have articulated that I felt the concentricity of the chamber was probably fine. Chatter is never a desired feature in a chamber lol.

well, I wouldn't have been as concerned if the brass wasn't getting stuck. the thing just shoots. first 2 rds were on target to sight, then the next three went into a about a .350in hole. but each round was harder than the last to get the bolt open. I'd really like to be able to run that load, but time will tell. That was 92gr of IMR 8133. Everything starting at 87gr up to 92gr was sticking badly with no other pressure signs.

I have a JC Higgins FN Belgium 98 in 270 win that has been set back twice due to chatter. Bummer is it looks like a new barrel but chatter is deep. It's still there though it's been set back twice, functions fine but the impressions on the brass makes me concerned. I'd make it an Ackley but it's only a 22" barrel. I'll either sell it as an action or rebarrel it someday.

Brass getting stuck on any rifle is no good. I figured your builder would make good on any repairs. You spent good money, you deserve to get a functioning rifle.

Tagging in a little late, but sounds to me like it was possibly a reamer that was out of spec. And if it does have a hour glass shape, I don't think polishing will take that out. It takes a lot of polishing to remove .0005 let alone more than that. If it is just a rough chamber which has all the indicators of that with scratches in the case, they will polish and you'll have it back in no time. Good Luck and enjoy!

Bummer on the chamber...especially a "chutun' " barrel......

But as to
"How many reloaders do you know with 0.0001" measurement tools?"
They are available most everywhere these days.....i have two...so percentage is up....

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm confused! Didn't know there was a camming action on the lifting of the bolt. Have built quite a few rifles, most on them rem 700 actions. Several of them were 300 RUM. Never a problem. The bolt lugs are flat and the inside of the action where the lugs ride are flat. There is nothing to push the bolt away from the chamber to create a camming effect. The only cam is the one on the back of the bolt to cock the firing pin. Maybe I'm stupid. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.