Brass sticking at all powder charges

If you have to use brake cleaner to clean your cartridge cases and chamber in order to extract a fired cartridge, you have a defective rifle, ammo, or cartridge case.

You may be right, But I have a defective rifle that performs flawlessly and shoots sub 1/2 MOA when I take this step so I think I will stick with it ;)… Since figuring this out I have heard of many others needing to take this step also. I've wondered if it has to do with the type of case lube used. I haven't tried another lube after discovering this since I don't have a problem anymore.

You've identified a solution to a problem that needn't exist. That's my point. I hold nothing against you or your solution for your uses, as it seems to 'work'.

Depending on my use, it might be good for me, or it might not.

My hunting is always in the proximity of grizzly or brown bears. Often times black bears also. I don't hunt on the back 40, 80, or 640 acres. My primary hunting trip begins after 26 travelled miles from the nearest highway vehicle access. Takes 8hrs off-road to get there. Another day of highway travel. And another 4 days of preparation activities. Wet weather is common. No guarantee I can keep my ammo or chamber dry. I don't want my chamber oil free. And it shouldn't have to be to function reliably.

Not going to risk disappointment after all the time and effort, when I know the issue can be identified and corrected.

Again, this extraction problem means there's a defect that can be fixed. It isn't acceptable for me in my uses, which admittedly are on the extreme end of hunting ventures. No personal or theoretical objections to your solution.

Just some things I have to weigh and consider with the rifles I hunt
with.

I get what you're saying. I've been on those trips before too, and just had severe paranoia that something would go wrong. up in the last frontier, the 338 got a thorough cleaning, test fire then oil before every trip out. Here in Missouri, don't think anything is going to eat new when I'm cleaning my deer. The problem from the OP is too little primary extraction coupled with a tight chamber. I'm hoping the new bolt will work, otherwise the action maker had agreed to replace the action with an updated design.

i have a friend with two 308's, one savage, one Ruger American, the Ruger will handle max loads all day long, the Savage bolt will lock up even with reduced loads 2 to 3 grains less. He had the Savage head spaced and it was perfect, you might just have to shoot lighter loads. Personally i would double check you loads, have the head space checked, if all are OK carry it back to who built it and show them and have them re-barrel or if possible re-chamber.

Verdict is in, the makers of the action have determined that the action had almost no primary extraction. They are replacing the action 100% with a new and very well updated action which fixes all the problems they were seeing. Sounds like the rifle may be back before the new year. The makerbis Thompson Leh, and they are a stand up company with a great product that they stand behind.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.