brass jacketed rifle bullets

ok brass is a glideing metal (soft metal that will gauld to harder metals under friction) and its 95% copper, so 100% copper has to be in the same class or it wouldn't foul a barrel. If you've ever turned casenecks, you'd see that when you forget to lube the mandrel brass gaulds to it exactly like copper sticks in your barrel
RR

Okay guys, wer'e really wrapped around the axle here. Back to the topic please.

I'm not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV, but I think if there were a better option for bullet jackets, we'd see it already.

When smokeless powder came out over $100 years ago, people learned that they needed to put some kind of jacket over their lead bullets, as solid lead wouldn't hold together without a jacket of some sort (in the new rifles with faster bullets and tighter twists). First, they tried solid copper, but that lead to excessive bore fouling. Militaries and ammo makers eventually settled on gilding metal (a brass with ~5% zinc) as a harder material that didn't foul as bad. Given that zinc is cheaper than copper, I'd think that manufacturers would want to maximize it's use in bullet construction.

Ergo it's reasonable to surmise that if a brass with more zinc in it (or some other cheap element) were excellent for bullet jackets, we'd see it.

I'm not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV, but I think if there were a better option for bullet jackets, we'd see it already.

When smokeless powder came out over $100 years ago, people learned that they needed to put some kind of jacket over their lead bullets, as solid lead wouldn't hold together without a jacket of some sort (in the new rifles with faster bullets and tighter twists). First, they tried solid copper, but that lead to excessive bore fouling. Militaries and ammo makers eventually settled on gilding metal (a brass with ~5% zinc) as a harder material that didn't foul as bad. Given that zinc is cheaper than copper, I'd think that manufacturers would want to maximize it's use in bullet construction.

Ergo it's reasonable to surmise that if a brass with more zinc in it (or some other cheap element) were excellent for bullet jackets, we'd see it.

Me thinks you are correct:D Pure copper is a better hunting bullet jacket, but then, as you said, you have fouling problems. I think Swift still uses pure copper.......Rich

Me thinks you are correct:D Pure copper is a better hunting bullet jacket, but then, as you said, you have fouling problems. I think Swift still uses pure copper.......Rich

Smelting of zinc causes extremely "non-enviro" friendly noxious gas, We are opening a new ammo co. We are experimenting with various materials. Zinc was the first metal discussed however and to my dismay, it is not likely to the predominant material in a cartridge or bullet.

Smelting of zinc causes extremely "non-enviro" friendly noxious gas, We are opening a new ammo co. We are experimenting with various materials. Zinc was the first metal discussed however and to my dismay, it is not likely to the predominant material in a cartridge or bullet.

I know cutting it with a torch or trying to weld it will knock you down:D
Let us know what you come up with.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts