Brass cycling issue .308

badaboom

OK pretty much here is the story.
Working with .308 GMM Federal Brass that has been sized FL, trimmed to length, flash hole deburred all the stuff yada, yada, yada. Tried a 175 sierra HPBT match bullet and attempted to created a dummy round setup with regards to seating depth at a number of different depths and never felt good cycling through the action. No problem building, it was with the over all length? I had the bullet seated pretty short even much shorter than the factory federal GMM ammunition and attempting to cycle through my rifles chamber with or without the firing pin was very tuff, not so smooth, a bit tuff just wasn't cycling even close to the same thing as with factory Gold medal match 175 sierra ammunition from federal the factory ammunition with the same basic setup was cycling like silk pretty much. And I mean I had my dummy bullet I was trying to create even much shorter and it was still just not smooth.
I tried FL resizing a couple even before just attempting to cycle the brass through the rifle it still did not feel all that smooth compared to the factory ammunition.
I'm Begiinning to wonder what might be the issue? The Die?

Any ideas
RCBS dies
Winchester heavy varmint .308 excellent condition

As in the other 308 thread, your die may be a little long and not pushing the shoulder back very well.

I don't know what you mean by "cycling" but the normal issue is that the bold is hard to close when the shoulder is not pushed back. Not uncommon with RCBS dies.

Might not be that at all.

BB

Yeah I saw that thread seems interesting and will be trying some stunts to see if it clears it out or I will be getting or trying another FL die.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.