Brass and primer questions for 280 AI

longbowelk

I was wondering what brass and primer would work for 280AI. In my 7 08 i'm using Hornady and in my 25 06 I'm using Remington and Winchester. I mainly reload for hunting and not Match or competition. I see several recommending Norma that is higher than most. I was looking at Nosler but read bad reviews . Looks like a crap shoot. Primers, been using Fed210. I see some use them and others say Fed 210M. Any help will be appreciated. I will be Fireforming the brass. Thanks...

I use Nosler 280ai brass, they work out well for me. A bit expensive, but no fire forming.

The primer may very well depend on what powder you are using. That size case typically would use standard primers, but with some of the slower powders you may do better with magnum primers.

I use RL26 powder with 215 primers. You may just have to do some experimenting to see what works for you.

I have to Fireform as this is the original improved and Nosler AI brass/ammo won't work. My plans are to mainly shoot 140-168. I'm looking at IMR 4350, H4831, and RL22. 26"Shilen 1/9 twist.

Yeah, with those powders listed the standard large rifle primers should be fine. And your correct not to use the Nolser 280ai brass with your old school Ackley.

The difference between the Fed 210 and 210M might be debatable. One shouldn't be hotter/cooler then the other. Theoretically the match primers are supposed to have better quality control (thus being more consistent). But you have to believe the company is truly putting more time/effort into the match.

But at the end of the day, even match priers aren't that much more expensive. So if it helps you sleep better at night, by all means. :D

If the rifle was head spaced correctly, as per Akley, 0.004 short of a standard .280 Rem go gage, then you can use any standard .280 Rem case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.