Brand new CA Ridgeline 300 PRC Chambering issue?

Same story different person send it back stop dealing with their issue it is not an ammo issue. Google this exact same issue and there is more issues on CA rifles than about any other semi-custom rifle. It's a bad chamber job.
You should not have to shoot it and shoot it and shoot it till it finally "breaks in". It should work from round one. They will simply re-barrel it and send you on your way. In three or four months from now…you'll sell it

Sorry for your misfortune.

Last edited:
Same story different person send it back stop dealing with their issue it is not an ammo issue. Google this exact same issue and there is more issues on CA rifles than about any other semi-custom rifle. It's a bad chamber job.
You should not have to shoot it and shoot it and shoot it till it finally "breaks in". It should work from round one. They will simply re-barrel it and send you on your way. In three or four months from now…you'll sell it

Sorry for your misfortune.
I will pull the scope tomorrow, I hope they get it right; because I can not in good conscience pass a lemon on to someone else. If all else fails, I will have a good smith re-barrel it with a good carbon barrel. But I do hope that CA can do right by me. I really do want to like them.

Last edited:
Not directed at any one in particular, but WHY would anyone buy a custom or semi custom rifle, and then accept anything but 100% ????? If I bought "customer rejected special" rifle, and it didn't perform or function, then shame on me. I'm really confused why so many people today accept sub standard work or items or service, and say,"maybe I'll keep trying to make it work". You PAID to have it work first time, every time.!!!!! It seems that companies today expect 100% payment, but then deliever a 95% product....and want us to just say "ok, I can live with this" !!! What really chaps me is that you might have to shoot up to 300 rnds of ammo( I guess you get it free?) And THEN if it still doesn't work, well, maybe we'll do it right the second time???? You have alot more patience than I do...I expect to get what I pay for......from the start...rsbhunter

I don't see any pressure signs. Edges of the primer still round and no ejector swipe.

Don't confuse that primer flow with a pressure sign. That's a firing pin hole issue.
I see what you are saying, Some of those cases are from the 212 ELDX, and they eject a little stiff but the ones that are from the 225-grain ELDM have flattened primers, it may be hard to see in the pics. But the 225s were very hard to close the bolt on and I was worried I may have to send the gun back to CA with the empty case still in it, because I almost couldn't get the bolt to open and when I finally did I almost could not pul the bolt open to eject the brass I had to beat the bot open with the palm of my hand and then beat the bolt all the way back. I was told that they have a very tight chamber so to try a lighter/shorter bullet. So that is when I tried the 212 ELDX they still are pretty snug to close the bolt on because of the projectile engaging the rifling but both the 212 and the 225 only engage the rifling on one side of the bullet. and they leave pretty deep striations on the bullet from the rifling on that one side as well.

Thanks so much, JIm

I've had great experience with my CA's.

Having said that, I would NOT shoot that once more like that!! Completely unsafe say nothing about being unacceptable...

I totally agree with you. The Ridgeline is not exactly a cheap date for a factory rifle either. If someone has to break in a factory rifle with factory ammunition that doesn't sound right to me at all. Especially at the present cost of ammunition; like $50+ a box. If the bullets or the brass did not have the dents on the sides or on the bullet I'd say "maybe/perhaps" but not with those striations on them. I started to follow this thread because one of the guys who we hunt with just bought a Ridgeline in 30-06, and now I am hoping he does not have any issues with his rifle. Thanks for posting this thread.

Not directed at any one in particular, but WHY would anyone buy a custom or semi custom rifle, and then accept anything but 100% ????? If I bought "customer rejected special" rifle, and it didn't perform or function, then shame on me. I'm really confused why so many people today accept sub standard work or items or service, and say,"maybe I'll keep trying to make it work". You PAID to have it work first time, every time.!!!!! It seems that companies today expect 100% payment, but then deliever a 95% product....and want us to just say "ok, I can live with this" !!! What really chaps me is that you might have to shoot up to 300 rnds of ammo( I guess you get it free?) And THEN if it still doesn't work, well, maybe we'll do it right the second time???? You have alot more patience than I do...I expect to get what I pay for......from the start...rsbhunter
I understand what you mean and I am usually very picky also. But this was the first simi-custom rifle I have ever had. All of my other guns are in regular production models. And I did not know what to expect. I don't reload yet, so the high-pressure signs were a new thing to me as well.. And also my sweet wife got me this gun as a Christmas present, so it made me feel pretty bad to have to tell her that it may be a bad gun.

He is saying the rifle shoots even with the larger bullets. I see no pressure signs. Only question is why the scraping on one side of bullet? 280AI have you tried multiple rounds to see if all them come out with this scaring? Also might try some 180gr and see if they do same. The gun will chamber rounds easier as you shoot it and it wears in. Nothing on case says its unsafe or over pressure to me. The only thing that is in question to me is the markings on one side. A phone call to CA and make them answer that question before you send it back. And if they say send it back make them cover cost of shipping if its there screwup. But I think you are safe to shoot it see how it groups and give it a chance to break in. But I would shoot lighter bullets during break-in so it doesn't beat you up so bad.

I totally agree with you. The Ridgeline is not exactly a cheap date for a factory rifle either. If someone has to break in a factory rifle with factory ammunition that doesn't sound right to me at all. Especially at the present cost of ammunition; like $50+ a box. If the bullets or the brass did not have the dents on the sides or on the bullet I'd say "maybe/perhaps" but not with those striations on them. I started to follow this thread because one of the guys who we hunt with just bought a Ridgeline in 30-06, and now I am hoping he does not have any issues with his rifle. Thanks for posting this thread.
Yes sir. the bullet engaging the rifling was a new thing to me I had never seen this before. and yes for me this was a pretty pricy gun.. I do hope your buddies 30-06 is good to go also some of them are very good shooters from what I understand.

He is saying the rifle shoots even with the larger bullets. I see no pressure signs. Only question is why the scraping on one side of bullet? 280AI have you tried multiple rounds to see if all them come out with this scaring? Also might try some 180gr and see if they do same. The gun will chamber rounds easier as you shoot it and it wears in. Nothing on case says its unsafe or over pressure to me. The only thing that is in question to me is the markings on one side. A phone call to CA and make them answer that question before you send it back. And if they say send it back make them cover cost of shipping if its there screwup. But I think you are safe to shoot it see how it groups and give it a chance to break in. But I would shoot lighter bullets during break-in so it doesn't beat you up so bad.
Only "one" question is the scaring?
What about beating the crap out of the bolt to expel the brass?
What about this concept of "just shoot it until it wears out" , so it might fit mentality?

What about try a smaller bullet? Are you kidding me?

But, I think you're safe! Just take a rubber mallet hunting with you. Argh, where are my pills ?

To the OP, your wife did her best. Mine has done the exact same thing.
Don't waste time or money and send it back. This is not normal and shouldn't be.

If this was a pair of kenetrek boots that didn't fit right would you keep them?

Last edited:
Thank you for your insight, I do appriciate it, I have not tried 180 yet I do not reload yet. The only factory ammo I have found for the 300 PRC is 212 ELDX and also 225 ELDM and when I found them on the mile-high sight, I bought 6 boxes of each. I shot 4 of the 225 grain and they were pretty hard to chamber and I almost could not get the brass to eject it was very very hard to get the bras to eject on the 225. the 212 were not near as hard to chamber but I have shot 16 of them through the gun so far and they are not near as hard to eject but still a little snug... When I contacted CA they told me I could send it in for a smith to look at or I could continue going through the break-in that they recommend is 6 shots and clean 6 shots and clean and that is what I have been doing. It also says in the owner's manual that it usually takes 50 rounds before the barrel will be broken in. some have said it took 60 rounds to break in on their CA rifles. It was the striations on one side of the bullet and so far that has been on every bullet I have chambered just not anywhere near as bad as the 212 grn bullets.

Recent Posts