New ADG 6.5 PRC brass not chambering

hunting hard

Hi to all. Anybody having issues with new ADG brass not chambering? I just bought a new box of ADG brass to reload for my new Sako S20 and when I tried chambering the brass, all except 4 will not chamber. I measured the base to shoulder, using Hornady comparator, and there's .006-.007 difference from the 4 brass that will chamber. I tried bumping the shoulder of one of the brass by .005 and now it went through the chamber. Would this be okay to do? I used a Redding body die to bump the shoulder and resize the body or better yet to do Full length resize. I also did neck resizing using a neck bushing after bumping the shoulders. I'm only new to reloading so any help/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks. I'm thinking on bringing my rifle too to a gunsmith to have them measure the headspace ( bolt face to the lands if that the correct term).

absolutely no issue in bumping the shoulder back on new brass if needed, thats a pretty big difference that you needed to bump back, but if you need to bump 5 thou to get them to chamber then its what you have to do.

the least you can do to the brass the better, i wouldn't personally touch the necks at all unless you find them to be too tight from the factory.

personally I just add a layer of neolube liquid graphite inside the necks with a foam tipped applicator to help keep the seating forces down. tight necked brass from the factory and squeaky clean brass is a recipe for excessive seating forces (damage to the bullet).

Most of the time I have to use a mandrel of some sort to get all the necks perfectly round.
No matter who made the brass!
Doesn't hurt anything to chamfer and deburr case mouths.
If you are using bushings for the first time, satisfactory neck interference/tension is normally found .002-.003-.004
Uniform seating pressure with bullets is the goal.
Several good YouTube vids help with details.

Fire the brass once, before you try to get too serious about fine tuning.Good luck.

If it were me, I would invest in the proper sized headspace comparator bushing to take a proper measurement of the fired brass and save the money with the gunsmith. Use the reamer print or saami spec for the cartridge to determine if the fired case falls within the specified dimensional size and tolerance.
The other thing you could do to determine if the headspace is 'long enough' is to acquire a couple rounds of factory ammunition to determine if they chamber properly. If they do, then it would be a no-brainer to me to just bump the shoulders back on the ADG brass. Here is a Saami chamber spec. Reach out if you need help interpreting what it says.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331_054707_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331_054707_Google.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 33
Hi to all. Anybody having issues with new ADG brass not chambering? I just bought a new box of ADG brass to reload for my new Sako S20 and when I tried chambering the brass, all except 4 will not chamber. I measured the base to shoulder, using Hornady comparator, and there's .006-.007 difference from the 4 brass that will chamber. I tried bumping the shoulder of one of the brass by .005 and now it went through the chamber. Would this be okay to do? I used a Redding body die to bump the shoulder and resize the body or better yet to do Full length resize. I also did neck resizing using a neck bushing after bumping the shoulders. I'm only new to reloading so any help/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks. I'm thinking on bringing my rifle too to a gunsmith to have them measure the headspace ( bolt face to the lands if that the correct term).
I've ran into this problem alot with adg. The latest was my 30 nosler I would have to bump the shoulder back 5 to 8 tho just for then to chamber. I told adg and it went back and fourth. They wanted to make it sound that my head space was off but I have guages. Finally they admitted that they had issues with certain lots ect. I had that happen with a 7 max as well adg is good brass but there not my first choice anymore. You should be ok bumping them back to min spec and run them

Thank you. I'm very grateful with your insights. Okay I'll try to buy a factory ammo, fire and then reload once and then measure the headspace. Yes, I did chamfer and deburr the case mouths. As for the headspace comparator, I'm considering of ordering the LE Wilson Case Gage Depth Micrometer as the Whidden Gunwerks Shoulder Bump Gauge is almost the same with the Hornady comparator. Thanks again. It's nice having experienced reloaders helping members who are new to reloading.

Thank you. I'm very grateful with your insights. Okay I'll try to buy a factory ammo, fire and then reload once and then measure the headspace. Yes, I did chamfer and deburr the case mouths. As for the headspace comparator, I'm considering of ordering the LE Wilson Case Gage Depth Micrometer as the Whidden Gunwerks Shoulder Bump Gauge is almost the same with the Hornady comparator. Thanks again. It's nice having experienced reloaders helping members who are new to reloading.
once fired brass is still not guaranteed to show your chamber headspace. it takes several firings to match your chamber.

I've ran into this problem alot with adg. The latest was my 30 nosler I would have to bump the shoulder back 5 to 8 tho just for then to chamber. I told adg and it went back and fourth. They wanted to make it sound that my head space was off but I have guages. Finally they admitted that they had issues with certain lots ect. I had that happen with a 7 max as well adg is good brass but there not my first choice anymore. You should be ok bumping them back to min spec and run

I've ran into this problem alot with adg. The latest was my 30 nosler I would have to bump the shoulder back 5 to 8 tho just for then to chamber. I told adg and it went back and fourth. They wanted to make it sound that my head space was off but I have guages. Finally they admitted that they had issues with certain lots ect. I had that happen with a 7 max as well adg is good brass but there not my first choice anymore. You should be ok bumping them back to min spec and run t

I've ran into this problem alot with adg. The latest was my 30 nosler I would have to bump the shoulder back 5 to 8 tho just for then to chamber. I told adg and it went back and fourth. They wanted to make it sound that my head space was off but I have guages. Finally they admitted that they had issues with certain lots ect. I had that happen with a 7 max as well adg is good brass but there not my first choice anymore. You should be ok bumping them back to min spec and run them
I'm thinking of not loading these brass anymore, I will just as well buy Lapua brass which is cheaper ( than the ADG) in my area here in Canada. $259.99 for 100 pcs Lapua compared to $135 50 pcs of ADG.

Same issue with ADG 7-08. Two out of the twenty I loaded for workup wouldn't chamber. Ran the whole bunch through a forster neck shoulder bump die. Problem solved. Their rep, and the way they were packaged I thought I could just load and go. Broke my own rule of running everything through the die.

Hunting Hard, I hope you read Phil Rizzo's response, much insight for you there. I would bump the shoulder back on the tight brass, not sweat it at all. You maybe over reacting to what you think is a bad thing, when it is actually a blessing. I would much rather have a chamber that is a tad short vs one that is long where the brass headspace is going to expand .006-.012 upon firing(belted mags), The reason is case stretch. I like my cases to have minumum stretch in the chamber, which can leade to longer case life, especially when firing warm loads near the top of the pressure curve.

Whether it is the brass Headspace that is longer or a chamber headspace that is shorter, does not matter, you can make a "custom" fit easily which is to your GREAT advantage.

When I am forming wild cats, I set the headspace where I have slight resistance in closing the bolt, and I keep the bolt lugs greased every 25 rounds so they do not gaul. So, by setting the headspace on the wild cat chamber so it will have minimal case stretch, the brass lasts many, many firings, if I keep the necks annealed.

Best of luck!