Brace yourselves... the stupid questions are coming

Baffled321

Hello and thanks for letting me join your fine group. I first stumbled across this page while doing research for a new rifle I just bought and the loads I'm going to develop for it (components are on back order for a while yet lol). I've been reloading for a number of years but always just thrown some ammo together from whatever the manual says and it was good enough to kill an elk so just rolled with that.

The rifle I just bought is a 6.5 PRC Browning X Bolt Stalker with a heavy-ish 26" barrel wih 7" twist. I'll be loading 156gr Berger Elit Hunter EOL's with Retumbo powder ignited by CCI 200 primers. I'm curious about you guys' thoughts on this combination. I'm looking forward to the load development process this time and have already run into terms and processes that I didn't even know existed (hence the screen name.)

Welcome. We're all here to learn and share knowledge so no worries about questions. I did load work up for a friends 6.5 prc browning and 156 bergers and found n570 was a the best powder. You can call Berger for load info, they're very helpful. Just use the middle load for a starting point and work your way up till you see pressure then back off a grain or 2. I start with my longest coal and then I load strings of 4 with 3 thousands difference until I get the accuracy I want. I ended up with all 4 shots inside a 1" square at 200 with his rifle using a front rest and a rear bag positioned under the end of the stock not inside that cut out area. Afterwards double checked velocity, then I Helped him figure out how to group off the bipods shooting off the bench. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to LRH.

I think you're off to a good start on your rig. I don't have much experience with the prc but it's similar to the 284 case. I question if H1000 wouldn't be a better choice given the case capacity but if that's all you have then it will certainly work.

Best of luck with the new rig and enjoy the forum.

Recent Posts