BP ain't all muzzle loading

royinidaho

BP ain\'t all muzzle loading

Went to the range this morning to get a 300 yd zero. Forgot which Sat of the month it was. Got there the upper/long range was full of trucks, etc.

I don't know whatcha call it but you use original buffalo rifles of about 40, 45 and 50 cal. Bullets are soft lead at over 400 grains @ about 1100 FPS. Most wear shoulder pads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They shoot at steel chickens, pigs, turkeys and sheep at 100, 200, 300, 400 & 500 meters.

Cross sticks support the "barrel" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and most shooters shoot prone, except for the chickens @ 100 meters (they seemed pretty safe by the way) which are shot offhand.

Tang sights or some kind of a tube thing is used for sights. Each shooter has 5 shots (after sighters) for 5 of the angry steel beasts.

They shoot a shot. breath down the barrel with a rigged up plastic hose gizmo. I asked what that was for and the guy said to keep the powder residue soft. He said he had no idea if it worked or not but he always did it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just like us with some of our habits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

A patch is then run down the bore, some jabbering takes place with the spotter and the next shot is fired.

Last year I stumbled onto the same shoot and watched an old fella (this sport seems to attract old fella. I'm old but a more than just a few of these fellas needed new knees, hips and help getting up from the shooting position) knock over 10 for 10 rams at 500 meters. The rams were clean for the first go around so the hit placement was unmistakable.

I volunteered to set targets just to get to go out and measure his group size from looking a each of the 5 rams. Amazing! The group size was no more than 5". Put you bipod on the barrel and try that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The old fart did nearly the same thing to day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Knocked 'em all down but wind and mirage were a bit testy.

The difference between them and us is they get sighters and we have to make that first shot count. Otherwise I guess we'd be long range shooters vs long range hunters.

Oh, and at times they are compensating for 50 or so inches of windage at 500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I don't know how much they were compensating today but with 195 WCs @ 3000+ I adjusted a 1/2 minute @ 500 and was w/in an inch of POA.

Just tho't it was interesting.

Re: BP ain\'t all muzzle loading

Those guns are a lot of fun to play with. The thing you breath down the barrel with is called a blow tube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
In the last 25 years I have probably shot 50 rounds of BPC for every modern cartridge round I have shot. Their totally amazing. Banging the 300 yd gong off hand with a 530 grain bullet using black powder is awsome and shooting a steel buffalo off cross sticks at 1000 is even more fun. Do a bit of searching and find the Billy Dixon match at which they shoot I think 1500 yds and you will be even more amazed at what can be done with a BP cartridge rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.