Boyds stock

270 win

So I'm looking to buy a boyds laminate stock for my Marlin XL7, this rifle comes pillar bedded from the factory, so, will I be able to use the pillar bedding in the new stock?

No the pillars are part of the stock not the barreled action. If you buy the boyds stock you would have to have pillars installed and preferably glass bedded at the same time.

Thanks for the reply, Is pillar bedding a job I can do myself? And if so, where can I order a set of pillars for a Marlin XL7?

Yes its a job you can do your self if you are handy and have the right tools.

Pillars are installed for a solid place for the action to bolt to. They are installed between the bottom metal and the action. So when you tighten the action bolts you do not "crush" the wood. Over time action bolts will compress the wood.

Most of the time the are put in for the solid mounting surface and bedding material is installed to hold the action in the stock tight and perfect fit.

With that out of the way. It is much easier to install with a milling machine or at least a drill press. You have to open the action bolt holes up to accept the oversize pillars. then they have to be bedded in.

Pillars can be made or bought. Check out this sight..Score High Gunsmithing, Muzzle brakes, Bedding Epoxy and Pillar Bedding kits

With all that said, I have no idea how the Marlin bolts to the stock and pillars may be more difficult to install.

Ok, no offense intended but you do need to do some reading and research here and on www.6mmbr.com to get started.

I have pillar and devcon bedded a few Boyds stocks and several of other makers. I have been the most pleased with pillars from Richard's Custom Rifles. Richard seems to be retiring faster and faster these days so I don't know where the next set will come from. I personally really despise seeing the end of the pillar on the bottom of the stock, Richard makes a escutcheon to whatever size you need for your stock and it gives things a nice finished look.

P5070006.jpg

The key is setup your stock with either a piloted counter-bore bit or a Forstner bit in a drill press. Spend whatever time it takes to know that you are drilling perpendicular to the action.

Holes in the stock need to be big enough to allow plenty of bedding material to lock them into the stock. whatever size your pillars are go maybe 3/16 bigger than that.

Do plenty of reading, and decide if your up to it. If you go for it yourself then take your time. All the work is in setup and getting things right from the beginning.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.