Magpul or Boyds

saw

I currently have a Laminate thumbhole stock on my rifle but I don't like it due to the fact if my thumb is in the thumbhole I don't have good finger placement on the trigger. I was going to switch out the stock. A manners is not in the budget. Would you go with a Boyds Pro Varmint or wait for the new Magpul 700 stock to come out. The boyds is only about $100 but the laminate is heavier. The Magpul I think is lighter and in addition I could get bottom metal (Plastic with a box mag). Thoughts?

I have had very good luck with Boyds but I prefer wood stocks anyway. Not much more weight and you can hollow out the butt stock some if you're very careful. I always add the decelerator recoil pad option.

Have installed many Bell and Carlson stocks with favorable results also.

saw, the Boyd's is great for the price. Check out their "Tacticool" stock, I bedded a couple for friends and they look great. Both had the nutmeg color and Limbsaver pad upgrades which were a great value. E-mail or call Boyd's with your requirements and they will send model # to fit.

The magpul weighs in at 2.9lbs, while the boyds come in at 2.85 or less. Plus the fact that you can lighten the load w/ some drilling. Don't forget the bottom metal for the magpul which will increase weight even more.

I'd give the boyds a harder look from what you've stated regarding weight, unless you want a tactical rig by all means the magpul will give you that. Another option to look into per budget, not per weight, is choate stocks.

I recently bought two of the Boyd's Pro Varmint stocks.I got them in the black textured finish.I really like them.They look good and feel great.I do recommend that you bed the action.I did both of mine in a matter of minutes,floated the barrels and they shot great.One of the stocks went on a 300 Win Mag and I upgraded that stock with a Limbsaver pad.The other was for a 308 and I went with the standard 1/2" pad.Recoil was not an issue with either rifle.I don't think you can get a finer stock for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.