Boyd's Gunstocks question

Gregg C

Well, I broke my stock yesterday. It is a Boyd's thumbhole varmint. I got it cause of price point, and not really being aware of much(having only shot factory rifles) I found later several things that I would prefer in a rifle stock.
1. Higher cheek piece. That rifle has a 56mm objective lens, so it's pretty high. I modified the cheek piece with hardwood scraps, and it was better, but not perfect. And being so tall, I have to remove the action from the stock in order to clean it from the breech end. So ideally, I would like an adjustable , removable , cheek piece.
2. Longer length of pull. Again, I modified my stock, to a 14.75 in LOP. Much more to my liking.
3. And here is how I broke the stock. I decided I wanted a more vertical grip. I cut the swept back grip out, and made a replacement more to my liking; everything was going,g smooth, till I applied the Devcon, and not thinking, tried to suck the new grip into place with a screw too fast. The stock broke through wrist area that I had not cut. So....vertical grip.
Does anybody know if Boyd's will leave material in these spots if asked ? I can't find any where on their website that mentions it. They will make a 14.75in LOP, but that is all I could find.
Experiences , anyone ?

Boyd's makes stocks with adjustable cheek pieces and different thumbhole versions. They use to provide inlet stocks with extra wood in places but they have changed so much in the last couple of years your best bet would be to call them and ask. They have become far more of a volume outfit and way less a custom outlet. I would try Richards Microfit if Boyd's won't do what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.