Bought a Cooper 280 Ackley (Nosler) - Need advise

Dannix

I bought a used Cooper 52 in 280 AI (Nosler/SAAMI), which is the kind of purchase that's been on my to-do list for a few decades, so yay. I did a bunch of reloading, casting, etc. years ago, but only for straight wall pistol and shotgun, and it's been a long hiatus since then, so I'm in need of advise.

Dies
Re Redding's dies (the new ones are SAAMI, apparently) (their catalogue), would you advise going with the bushing Type-S dies? If so, with the micrometer neck sizing die too (58428 Competition vs 60428 Elite)?

Or is Redding's "Premium Deluxe" 68428, i.e. normal neck and full body dies plus micrometer seater, pragmatically fine, perhaps with a subsequent micrometer upgrade for the neck sizer if that's even possible?

The need to dialing in the precise bushing size desired for my specific setup sounds like a hassle re the Type-S dies -- unless it's really worth it. (It was worth getting bespoke Lyman M expander plugs when I used to cast, but it was still a hassle.)

I'm also looking at Redding's dial comparator die.

What die for crimping? Lee's Factory Crimp Die?

Press
I already bought a good value 3rd party toolhead for my Dillon 650. In looking at the other costs for conversion though, I may see what the minimum route maybe be to use it just as a turret press. I could instead put that money into another (turret) press for this purpose, but I'm space constrained.

Maybe I should simply do the breech lock bushing upgrade to my older Lee Classic Cast and that would allow me the same set-it-and-forget-it capability as a toolhead. Thoughts?

Components
I bought bunch of what, upon arrival, appear to be Hornady Interlock seconds. At 13 cents a pop (link), that will keep me entertained for now, likely won't even cast, with the plethora of various germane powders and dirt cheap Tula primers I have from yesteryear. But I'll spend the $800 for a 500 lot of Peterson brass once I get over the sticker shot and will continue to ponder the VLD options, maybe await JLK 7mm availability.

Cleaning
I purchased a bore tech jag and fancy cleaning rod. I've been a patch and jag only guy until now, with Ed's Red, but in looking further, it appears brass brushing is simply required and more so the more overbore a cartridge may be due to copper buildup? I have to do more homework on this front, as my impression had been that brushing was unnecessarily wear to a barrel. Is a bore scope purchase a general recommendation for barrel maintenance?

Annealing
I have homework to do on this front too. My current thinking is to use an electric drill and torch route, since this is a low volume situation.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: