Bottom Metal and Magazine For Defiance XM Action

Edd

Tell me what you know about sources for bottom metal and magazines for a Defiance XM length action. I haven't found anything I like.

I will state right straight up that I've been mistaken before but the Defiance XMs I've worked with use the Defiance XM BDL bottom metal only.

However, now there is information on the Altus website stating that they have DBM bottom metal specifically made to work with the XM actions. The problem I see is that they do not show any magazines made for that bottom metal and action.

https://www.altusshooting.com/products/hawkins-precision-m5-dbm-defiance-deviant-xm-action

Hawkins Precision M5 DBM (Defiance Deviant XM Action)
Hawkins Precision
$171.00
Formed in 2012, Hawkins Precision has been manufacturing high-end custom gun accessories for the tactical shooting and hunting community. From the beginning, Hawkins Precision has set out to deliver a better product that outperforms anything on the market. As a testimony to this, the Hawkins Precision M5 DBM is one of the most widely used by shooters in the Precision Rifle Series.

CNC-machined from a billet of aluminum, this bottom metal incorporates a barricade stop into the front of the magazine well, has a drafted magazine port, and also includes a patented cantilever spring release that will not open under recoil.

SPECS:

• Fits Defiance Deviant XM Action
  • Action Screws and Pillars Included

Hawkins has very poor details on their site. But when I spoke to them about a year ago, it was their Obendorf Bottom Metal that worked with the XM (and Lone Peak I believe). At the time they didnt have plans to release a DBM for the XM. I hope that they finally did.

InflectionDE has a medium length magazine that works excellent with Hawkins metal and a Lone Peak action. With some modifying, the magazines should work with the Hawkins metal for the XM actions too.

The metal Hawkins has for the XM is designed to work with the magazines that Defiance is supposed to be releasing, but they're going on 2-3 years now of not being able to get them fully to market.

Like so many other applications in the manufacturing sector, it's the long term demand for a product which determines the amount of time, effort and money which gets thrown at it.

In the situation of the Defiance MX, it could very well be that the demand or really the lack thereof which is compromising the forward movement. Far too many of us believe that we as individuals are the key guiding the demands when it's the major demands of thousands which drive the potential product development.

The other practical problem is time and money to devote to the development of new designs. When the regular production lines are full or nearly so, the drive to add to what's already full is far lower without adding new capacity to existing capacity. That costs money and trying to predict profits over expense can be daunting. Simple but true.

My guess is that the magazine manufacturers have their hands full producing for the daily consumption already. The trick is how to work in a new design while maintaining the current production numbers needed for the profits.

And the only information is on Facebook because their website is down for maintenance.:mad:

Hawkins Precision
October 31 at 10:34 AM ·
Need bottom metal for your next build? Hawkins Precision has you covered.

Hawkins M5 DBM comes in: Short, Defiance Machine XM, Long, 338 CIP, and 338 CIP+ action lengths. We have it all.

Our Oberndorf bottom metals come in short and long action, and are available as kits with action screws and followers.

Check out the whole line-up at www.hawkinsprecision.com/bottom-metal/ and drop us a message if you have any questions.

With their website down we can't get anything further.

Ah, and here I thought it was just my phone.

Thanks.

It'll be interesting to see what the options for magazine use are.

My XLR chassis includes an AICS style inlet. The XM magazine I was sold for my XM chassis is a 10 round MDT magazine. I also wonder about the Hawkins working as I want a smaller magazine. I shoot WSM. MDT only offers the 10 round which you need to send out if you want it cut down. More money so just waiting for something to come out. If I need 10 rounds, I would feel I should not have been shooting or there was a pack of wolves or big bear chasing me to eat.