borescope's ?

robert6715

What would be a good borescope for a hobbiest? I have seen them from $650.00 to $2000.00 and know nothing about them. What length would guy need to check for throat erosion/ jacket fouling. Take me to borescope school.

thanks Rob

I have the 7" Gradient Lense Hawkeye borescope that I bought not working. Had batteries grown into the barrel of the light source, which turned out to be a Mini Mag Light. $12 fixed it.

I've also used a 17" with the 90 deg mirror attachment. For rifle work, It is many times better than the 7".

Never looked through any other borescope, but will never let my short one go unless I can get a 17" one. Both of them have the small tube that goes in a .22 cal bore easily, and I believe that they will just barely go in a .17 cal bore, but am not positive.

Bottom line, its one of the most useful tools I have.

Tom

I have an old ACMI that I picked up off Ebay. It is around 13" long and it seems to get down far enough to check for throat erosion on most rifles I own. I picked it up for 40.00, that being said the light source is not up to par with the new fiber optic units. I am having a tough time finding the special little bulb for it and am going to try to adapt an LED bulb to it. You may keep an eye out for used medical scopes on Ebay though, often they can be had for a lot less than the Hawkeye's and still do a good job. Just make sure that: they are long enough to get as deep as you want to go, that they have a 90º viewing angle, the tube is small enough to get down your smallest barrel and they have a good light source.

Good Luck.

Slippery slope there.If you are at all OCD don't buy one.A good friend of mine bought a Hawkeye and it has cost him a butload in new barrels.
He has replaced barrels on 3 guns because he SAW things in the bore.Mind you,
the rifles shot itty bitty groups.
Just my two cents worth.

Ha ha, good point. After I got mine I realized how many heat fractures my .300 win mag had. (you can google that and see what they look like) Fortunately it shoots like a dream and I have no issues with leaving well enough alone.

Go halfies on a Hawkeye with a buddy you will be glad that you did... They are priceless to have during barrel breakin. Make sure to stock up on cleaning supplies. Sharp Shooter Wipeout is your friend....

Slewfoot

Slippery slope there.If you are at all OCD don't buy one.A good friend of mine bought a Hawkeye and it has cost him a butload in new barrels.
He has replaced barrels on 3 guns because he SAW things in the bore.Mind you,
the rifles shot itty bitty groups.
Just my two cents worth.

It a good point but without one sometimes its hard to figure out whats wrong with a rifle
that wont shoot.

If it shoots you just have to the temptation to replace it and get over how bad it looks and
keep shooting it.

I have a 17" and would not take for it. I have found many problems with it that otherwise
would have gone undetected.

It is also a good way to evaluate a new barrel( factory or custom) before break in.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.