Boots for a Montana hunt

Sneuses

Soon to be headed for a elk hunt in Montana. The elevation will range from 4000 to 8500 feet. The hunt will take place in mid October. Have been looking at the kenetrek hard scramble boot and the crispi neveda gtx. Does anyone have a preference in boot and why. Currently I have some Irish Setters hikers but they maybe my backup.

Tanx in advance for y'all's time

Soon to be headed for a elk hunt in Montana. The elevation will range from 4000 to 8500 feet. The hunt will take place in mid October. Have been looking at the kenetrek hard scramble boot and the crispi neveda gtx. Does anyone have a preference in boot and why. Currently I have some Irish Setters hikers but they maybe my backup.

I have a pair of Hoffman's, they're right here in Kellog Idaho !Great boots. Well insulated and plenty of ankle support and comfortable. I havw A few pairs of the Lowa Renegade but those are not
The type of boots is fake up
On theis kind of trip.. you need to have boots with good snow support. You can't go wrong wit any boot makers mentioned here. Hoffmanss, Kenetwka, Zamberlands, Creispi,etc..

Headed out a week early to get a dose of the altitude, after that it's elk and deer rifle. Hopefully gonna have BIG time. Need a boot with strong ankle support and something waterproof.
This is a good call on your part to get acclimated to the weather and altitude. Where are you coming from, and whereabouts in Montana are you hunting? DIY or guided?

I use solomon boots. Absolutely the best boot I've used to date. Lots of good choices out there but these work the best for me so far. I want a light boot, excellent ankle support, excellent traction, and little to no break in.

I use to Wear Irish setter elk tracker and they just didn't cut it. My son wears kenetreks. I personally have crispi and zamborlan. I like both of them. One is 400 gram and the other is none insulated. When it gets really cold I throw a pair of Arctic shield booties in my pack for the times when I sit and glass. Once done glassing I pop them off and throw them in my pack and away I go. Works well and booties are nothing in weight. More insulation in your boots create sweat and feet will get cold faster. Just my 2 cents. You should try different brands on because everyone has a different foot and feel. I personally didn't like the Ken's even though they are good boots but just wasn't quite right for me. The other 2 mentioned fit me better and I know that there is other brands out there that are good as well.

This is a good call on your part to get acclimated to the weather and altitude. Where are you coming from, and whereabouts in Montana are you hunting? DIY or guided?
I currently reside 30 miles south of Milwaukee and should be getting to Plaines Montana about five or six days prior to the hunt. Hopefully I can find a fishing hole. Cody Carr is the outfitter or guide. This is a hunt I wanted to do since I was 25 and swore would happen by forty, well this September I hit 60. Off the bucket list and onto the f@&$kit list I am going. Got my tags for deer and elk, also the guide fees paid.

Last edited:
If you're driving out you'll more than likely drive thru Missoula (Go Cats:)..........and there just off the Reserve street exit to the north a short ways is the RMEF headquarters. Always fun to take a stroll thru it.

I use to Wear Irish setter elk tracker and they just didn't cut it. My son wears kenetreks. I personally have crispi and zamborlan. I like both of them. One is 400 gram and the other is none insulated. When it gets really cold I throw a pair of Arctic shield booties in my pack for the times when I sit and glass. Once done glassing I pop them off and throw them in my pack and away I go. Works well and booties are nothing in weight. More insulation in your boots create sweat and feet will get cold faster. Just my 2 cents. You should try different brands on because everyone has a different foot and feel. I personally didn't like the Ken's even though they are good boots but just wasn't quite right for me. The other 2 mentioned fit me better and I know that there is other brands out there that are good as well.
I am tossing a coin between the crispi Nevada's and kenetrek hardscramble. People here are bringing flavors of boot I've never heard of. Maybe it's a location thing, here in Wisconsin with an altitude of maybe 60 feet at my location and possibly 200 at best in the state no real need for a climbing boot, after all the Great Lakes we formed by glaciers (great fishing)

I'm a Schnees boot fan! HQ in Bozeman. I hunt Montana, Colorado, and New Mexico and wear either my Hunter II 13" PAC Boots or my Granite 200g Depending on the hunt. They are both outstanding for mountain hunts. Either pair will go in and out of stirrups easily and keep you warm and comfortable. Think about all potential hunts you are planning for the future as either of these will last a lifetime. If you are likely to go after sheep or goats then I suggest the Granites as they have a full rubber Rand and 2.8 mm leather uppers for ankle support and handles the rock scree well. If you aren't going to go above tree line then the Hunter II's are awesome. Have a great safe hunt! Welcome to western high range hunting. It's addictive!

I currently reside 30 miles south of Milwaukee and should be getting to Plaines Montana about five or six days prior to the hunt. Hopefully I can find a fishing hole. Cody Carr is the outfitter or guide. This is a hunt I wanted to do since I was 25 and swore would happen by forty, well this September I hit 60. Off the bucket list and onto the f@&$kit list I am going. Got my tags for deer and elk, also the guide fees paid.
You won't have any problems finding fish. I worked as a guide in the early 80s, you'll find trout in 6" trickles to alpine lakes at 10,000 ft. The fishing is absolutely fantastic.