Tell us about your 2017 plans for backpacking

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Len Backus, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Destination or route

Time-frame

Equipment

Group or solo

Your favorite picture from a previous trip there

Etc.

2. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

->Possible Grand Canyon rim-to-rim trip April 20 - 26 (includes 1st and last days driving from and to Las Vegas) IF there is an opening created by somebody dropping out. 5 days

->Trying to get people together for a Ruby Crest backpack in northern Nevada's Ruby Mountains, "Nevada's Yosemite". 5 days

->Local trip along Bonanza Peak Trail (a.k.a. Spring Mountain Divide Trail). Likely solo in early May when there are a few patches of snow to melt for drinking water. There is only ONE spring for water on the trail. I'd like to spend more than the usual two days so I can peak bag. 3 -4 days

Possible section hike of Tahoe Rim Trail in late Sept., early October. Need at least one other person for shuttle or I'll have to hitchhike back to my car. Done it before on the AT. 2-3 days

I'll take my usual 3 season gear:

TENT-> Tarptent Moment DW
    PACK-> Osprey EXOS 58 W/ side pockets
    SLEEP SYSTEM-> Western Mountaineering overstuffed Megalite down bag, Prolite mattress.
    KITCHEN-> Trail Designs ti Caldera Cone stove & ESBIT fuel tablets, 3 cup pot & lid, plastic cup & bowl, Lexan spoon. Steripen Adventurer & Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets
    BOOTS-> Merrill Moab mid GTX
    CLOTHING-> all synthetic from skin out. E.Bauer down jacket, eVent parka

Eric B.

3. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Anyone want to do one of these trips with me (excepting Grand Canyon)?

Eric B.

4. jaeger19

jaeger19 Well-Known Member

Well.. if i get healed up from my torn achilles and surgery.. the plans are

Backpack with my teenage sons their first backpacking trips.
    Start in july on loon lake in idaho.
    Then twentymile lakes in idaho.
    Then in the spring of 18 due 7 days in hells canyon.

Got the bug again after swearing not to sleep on ground again. When i was a kid i hiked the appalachian trail. Now the kids are bugging me to backpack with them and so i gave in. :D

5. Wyodog

Wyodog Well-Known Member

At least 2 weekend trips with the wife in the Seirra Madres.

I'm organizing a 28 mile trek through the Gross Ventre wilderness ending in Jackson Hole.

At least 2 scouting trips in the Wyoming backcountry followed by hunting trips.

6. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Very cool.

7. mpm418

mpm418 Member

Retirement getting close....... practice trip North Country Trail from Pennsylvania up through Allegany (About 20 Miles) Then the second half of the Northville Placid Trail (Lake Durant to Lake Placid about 50 miles) then I'm coming out west to do some day hiking in the Tetons and Yellowstone with my wife. I've convinced her to stay with me at the Long Range Shooting School, the trade of is her melting my credit cards in Jackson afterward :).

8. kguzman

kguzman Member

Vacation to Yellow Stone for our first time in July ugh !! Can't wait !!! We've never been there so this is definitely a get the feel kind of trip. We'll be traveling from Arizona we're hoping to get some fishing in while we are there and on our way up thru Utah or the way home if anyone has any advice It would be greatly appreciative. Hope everyone has an awesome summer !!!

9. kguzman

kguzman Member

I forgot to mention we will be doing backpacking day trips only!! Its going to be the scenic and photo shooting trip !!