Tents for setting up in a storm

OK so some guy put a plywood platform on his truck roof and erected tents on it with force guages on the 'stakes'. Results were interesting, as most people would have assumed the center/hiking pole tents would perform the best.
center pole tents:
Zpacks Duplex Zip: 30 mph fail rear corner strap snap
X-Mid Pro 2: 40 mph fail rear corner strap

freestanding tents:
Big Agnes Copper Spur: 30 mph OK 40 mph snap pole permanently
Featherstone Backbone 2: failed at 40 mph w/o supplied guy lines duh, would have done much better no doubt with the guy lines
MSR Hubba Hubba: poles collapse at 50mph but the poles just sprung back no damage (some kindof composite poles)
Naturehike Cloud Up 2: 50mph bent pole, rebend OK, no vestibule though

My Sierra Designs Solo Assault bivy needs no fly. Totally waterproof, tested in harsh environments. Hard to find but they are tough buggers. Three poles and no stakes required except for the vestibule. About 4lbs total.

Attachments

• solo assault bivy.jpg
    solo assault bivy.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 39
My Sierra Designs Solo Assault bivy needs no fly. Totally waterproof, tested in harsh environments. Hard to find but they are tough buggers. Three poles and no stakes required except for the vestibule. About 4lbs total.
That looks like it would do well in the wind, low profile, 3 poles, a couple of tie straps plus the vestibule ties. Apparently issued to spec-ops and is military surplus. Seems to have plenty of vents/mesh to keep condensation down except if it is raining/snowing where a double wall would be nice. 4 pounds!

That looks like it would do well in the wind, low profile, 3 poles, a couple of tie straps plus the vestibule ties. Apparently issued to spec-ops and is military surplus. Seems to have plenty of vents/mesh to keep condensation down except if it is raining/snowing where a double wall would be nice. 4 pounds!
I bought two of them new at a stupid low price. You're right they were milsurp. Sierra Designs has a civilian version. There was another thread on tents and somebody posted all that info.

I run Seek Outside Cimarron's & they do great in all weather situations. With the Titanium Wood Stove (TWS) & Carbon Fiber Pole (CFP) they are very sturdy in high winds (30-50mph) & repel moisture efficiently. Have run these during all seasons of the fall harvest to include the late rifle season in sub zero temperatures (in the picture, it was -10 not including the wind chill factor & the TWS kept the inside of the tent in the 65-75 degrees). Lightweight; the 2 Person with above mentioned CFP & TWS weighs under 4lbs, 3 Person with CFP & TWS weighs roughly 5lbs. Although these setups are spendy when bought new, these products can be found on the 2nd hand market for pennies on the dollar. Seek seam-seals their tents from the factory, I highly recommend seam-sealing these tents annually & or after every few uses to maintain the waterproofing aspect of the tent. After use in wet environments, it is imperative to hang dry these tents so that they can dry out in a controlled manner to avoid mold or mildew build up.

Attachments

• IMG_8040.jpeg
    IMG_8040.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 25