Bolt handle work

Steel Rain

How much should I expect to pay to have my bolt handle schwacked and threaded for a PTG bolt knob?
Thanks

How much should I expect to pay to have my bolt handle schwacked and threaded for a PTG bolt knob?
Thanks

That depends on make and gunsmith's rate (based on labor rate, minimum charge time, etc ...), i.e. Montour County Rifles

Capture_zpstcirbeaq.jpg

Expect ~$50 general labor rate an hour.

Thanks. That is around what I was thinking. It is for a Savage. I can buy a custom handle for $50. Just haven't seen one I like that isn't tacticalish.

110 flatback. Thanks for listing those rsources. I've viewed those sites. I would like something that is more traditional looking for a sporter rifle. Something that looks like the Tikka T3 would look cool. I saw a knurled knob made by PTG that I liked that sparked my original question. I understand the rationale for the longer bolt handles on a Savage but kust not interested in it for this build. I have put together a short action Savage build recently and I'm afreaid I have a disease now.

Yes,I creep around there. I put a WTB ad up for an old style bolt handle. Awhile back, some guy had an old Savage varmint ridle for sale with a cool original bolt handle and was selling it for a song. The bolt was on the wrong side of the weapon though.

Just for grins you could take the bolt to a local machine shop and tell them what size and pitch of threads you want and see what they would charge...

Thanks

If you've caught the bug of modifying guns, might be worth just doing it yourself and then you'll know how. I'm not a handy person, but I've done the project you're talking about and it turned out great. The below is what I used.

Get these 2 things and a cheap $10 4 inch grinder from Harbor Freight;

Drill America DWT Series Qualtech High-Speed Steel Die Stock, 1-1/2" Size (Pack of 1): Round Threading Dies: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Drill America DWT Series Qualtech High-Speed Steel Round Adjustable Threading Die, 1-1/2" Diameter, 5/16"-24 Size (Pack of 1): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Double check, but 90% sure that's the thread and pitch count for the PTG knobs. Most are the same.

Here are a couple pics of my first bolt knob project. It's easier than you're probably thinking it will be.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/just-bought-4-rem-783s-199-each-153783/index10.html

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I may just try it.

Let me ask you this... do you want a threaded bolt handle for the ability to change out knobs at will? Or do you just want a different knob on your bolt handle?

Said another way, do you ever plan on changing the bolt knob once you find the one you like?

Because if you just want a different bolt handle knob there is an easier and quicker way to do it. This is so simply and easy that most of the "tactical elitist" will frown upon it. Or some people may say you "Bubba'ed" your rifle.

1 - Still purchase the bolt knob that you like.
2 - Still get the $10 HB grinder.
3 - Grind the original bolt knob down in a very similar way you would have if you were planning on threading it. But instead of threading it, grind 2 small barbs (like a fishhook) into either side of it.
4 - Fill the threaded area of your newly purchased knob with JB Weld and slide it onto the bolt handle where the factory one used to be.

If you don't rush the project, it will look like a high end factory bolt and nobody will ever be the wiser. Trust me, it will NEVER come apart. This is not theory. I have done this exactly as described and will probably never thread a bolt handle again.

I underestimated how much I would enjoy the extra leverage, grip, and scope clearance that a big chunky bolt knob would give me. The first one I did was just for "looks". But I loved it so much I now plan to replace all of my bolt knobs except for my rifles that are heirlooms or the couple I have that are collectors.

Hope this helps! Get er done and post some pics! I have subscribed to this thread and expect an update. :D

I'm a little funny I guess. I can make a quick decision when it comes to doing my everyday job when peoples lives are on the line. However, when it comes to my weapons, I am more fickle. So, I want simething clean and classic looking for this and for the small investment, I'm willing to try this mod myself. Thanks for all of the responses.

check out the group buys on snipershide for a bolt handle and fluting.

Or buy the PTG bolt with a better extractor, fluting, correct size and already threaded. Then just screw on the knob you like and sell the old bolt and be out way less money.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.