Bolt closes tightly

I own a Larry Willis die.

I believe the concept is to resize any bulge that occurs just above the belt.
They claim reloading dies don't do this.

I wonder what percentage of magnum cartridges use one.
I had the same problem with a 7RM years ago. It turned out that the brass did swell just in front of the belt and it got tighter with each firing and the size die just couldnt reach that spot. No amount of shoulder bump would fix it. Before the Willis die, new brass was the only fix. I left the belted cases all together.

I'm sure it works, I'm keeping mine incase it's required, haven't needed it yet
I had the same problem with a 7RM years ago. It turned out that the brass did swell just in front of the belt and it got tighter with each firing and the size die just couldnt reach that spot. No amount of shoulder bump would fix it. Before the Willis die, new brass was the only fix. I left the belted cases all together.

Make sure the shell holder is matched to the die you are using. I have an older Lyman shell holder and it is thicker by a few thous. thus not allowing me to bump the shoulder. Only is a problem on the belted magnums like 7mm RM. Not an issue when sizing 270 winchesters.

And that's a great point but in the main thread it specifically said my handle is caming over so there's that as well to take notice to...pretty hard to crush things any farther unless you cut the base of your die down...just saying
i obviously can't see your press. Is there something stretching in your press? Some folks try sliding a feeler gauge under the base to get a bit more!

The quest is do for sized cases chamber freely? If not, can you coat base and shoulder with marksalot? Does it show the touch point?

Dumpster.gif

Post number 10 was where this started to go down the tubes

View attachment 303660

View attachment 303660

The op posted factory at 2.195 and fired 2.224 I don't see how you could size down .027 too get back too 2.195 am I missing something here never too old too learn looks too me he's either measuring wrong or has too much chamber head space and is fire forming too the shoulder instead of head spacing off the belt