Bolt cleaning ?

doghntr

Was wanting to know how often you all clean your bolts. Had an issue today while shooting with the bolt not cocking. I worked it a few times and then didn't have any othe problems with it. I am now looking for the video on taking the bolt apart.

Was wanting to know how often you all clean your bolts. Had an issue today while shooting with the bolt not cocking. I worked it a few times and then didn't have any othe problems with it. I am now looking for the video on taking the bolt apart.

What kind of bolt do you have?

When I buy used rifle, i clean Bolt thoroughly with Gun scrubber or equivalent. Then use a dry lubricant spray. Then use bore guides with solvent ports and keep all oils out of bolt and action. Rarely felt the need to clean bolt afterwards.

Here's one from Midway USA ...

... and a pretty cool trick without tools from a US Marine ...

How to disassemble rifle bolt with no tools - YouTube

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a trigger problem, sear not engaging the cocking piece. Trigger mechanism dirty or 'gummed up'? Has the trigger been removed and the re-installed (tight pins can 'crimp' the sides of the trigger body and not allow free sear movement)? Has the trigger been "adjusted"? Go ahead and buy the tool for firing pin removal, you'll be glad you did. If you value your firearms, invest a few dollars, or take it to a gunsmith, or both.

It's a Jewel trigger and I haven't done anything to it. Thought it might have something to do with the trigger but not sure. After I worked the bolt it was fine. I think I will clean the bolt to start with and see if it does it again. Thanks for the reply's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.