Blown primer in .243 Ackley

When you force the solid copper bullet in your damaging the shoulder at the bottom off the neck and causing a ring to form in the neck. Look real close to shoulder and neck at the the base of the neck. The Berger has a much longer tapered base and goes into the brass much easier. You say everything work with all other bullets but this one it's the new bullet that's the problem. I shoot a lot of Ackley rounds and the bullet must go into to brass very easily.

The non lead bullets build a lot more pressure than conventional bullets such as the Bergers

Sorry, but I don't agree fully with either of these posts.

A flat base, heavy shanked lead core bullet will require the same force to insert into a case as any all copper, boattailed bullet, especially if the case is properly chamfered (I like to keep this interior chamfer light, as I reload WSMs with their short throat). It's never been an issue with a NP or Swift A frame or a Hornady GMX, Barnes or other. If there is a fit issue, a full length sizing should fix any issue of insertion force.

Second, there is little chance that all copper bullet developers will not test to max CUP fully with real statistical data, to show than any increase in pressure is not significant. This, along with quite a bit of of user data, would make me conclude that the increase can't be characterized as, " a lot more."

Without any real data and because of your eagerness to argue instead of providing any, I don't have the ability to and have lost the desire to help. So carry on.
Reading the replies i have got a stupid question, He is not doing anything that's that bad, wonder if he checked the primer pocket size to the primer dia. that he is using.

I know that you have stated you were using Lapua Brass, and in my opinion thats about as good as it gets. Sometimes while cleaning the primer pocket we get careless, usually in the application of using a primer pocket reaming tool. Just a thought.

Adam 32, I wish I could help you with this but I am still loading standard bullets for where I shoot, I was hoping to gain some information from those that were replying to you, but it seems as they don't know either or are unwilling to help.
Good luck with your search, please share any info. you find out.
Thank you

How Fast did it go? Serious question here. If it's a tight bore the copper solids build pressure really fast. Edit. I've got a load development video out on youtube it's free.

When I'm looking at something new I always strap the chrono on to see where I'm at as far as VE goes. Pressure makes velocity. Most of us don't have the means to measure pressure so VE is the best we can do. Solid bullets and lead copper bullets typically don't use the same loads. See how fast its going and back it down to where it's safe. I hope this helps

Adam 32, I wish I could help you with this but I am still loading standard bullets for where I shoot, I was hoping to gain some information from those that were replying to you, but it seems as they don't know either or are unwilling to help.
Good luck with your search, please share any info. you find out.
Thank you

Last edited:
So to obey our new lead free law I'm starting to load up ammo for my hunting rifles.

First up is my .243 Ack, my go to rifle that has always shot 105gr Berger's

I cleaned it real good with Shooters Choice like I always do. It's a Broughton 5c so it cleans up extremely easy.

I loaded 5 of the 95gr Barnes LRX with H4831SC.

I started at 46 then 47, 48, 49, 50 based on loads I found online and QL calcs.

First shot at 46gr the bolt barely opened and the primer was in the mag box!!!! Plugging the 46gr load into QL comes up with 45,248 psi...I know there's lots of variables with QL and I accounted for the ones I know. Even still, this load is low compared to everything I've found.

I went back and pulled the remaining bullets and weighed the powder charge, all were correct. It was also a new unopened jug of powder.

Any ideas????
Adam,
You're getting a lot of good info( and some uncalled for criticism ) but you have stated that you have previously shot these Bergers in your rifle and really the only new variable is the new jug of powder.
Definitely stay away from the 46 gr load, it is obviously too hot for your testing. The carbon ring idea is possible as is the length of the brass. Start low and work it up. Seems like you have the knowledge however be cautious of the new variable in your loading...the powder.
Good luck.

OK. Thanks. I did not feel like you were criticizing. Just not seeing where I was coming from. :)

As for 55200 on QL Glad you brought it up/. I was under the impression that was there MAP for the cartridge. Atleast from what they have shown in there by calling it MAP pressure. And as you just showed that makes the MPSM higher yet. And the MPLM for that matter. Maybe I am missing something??

Nope, that's the way I understand it.

How Fast did it go? Serious question here. If it's a tight bore the copper solids build pressure really fast. Edit. I've got a load development video out on youtube it's free.

When I'm looking at something new I always strap the chrono on to see where I'm at as far as VE goes. Pressure makes velocity. Most of us don't have the means to measure pressure so VE is the best we can do. Solid bullets and lead copper bullets typically don't use the same loads. See how fast its going and back it down to where it's safe. I hope this helps

This is a great point. Velocity = Pressure.

Loading all copper, or solid copper Bullets loads have to be reduced because of increased chamber pressure , or my have anyway!

Adam get a factory loaded round to make sure it has no problems.
The hard bolt lift and dislocated primers tells me there is over pressure situation.
Have a friend load your brass with one of their favorite light loads and try it.
It may be a simple problem.
Old Rooster

So to obey our new lead free law I'm starting to load up ammo for my hunting rifles.

I cleaned it real good with Shooters Choice like I always do. It's a Broughton 5c so it cleans up extremely easy.

First shot at 46gr the bolt barely opened and the primer was in the mag box!!!! Plugging the 46gr load into QL comes up with 45,248 psi...I know there's lots of variables with QL and I accounted for the ones I know. Even still, this load is low compared to everything I've found.

I went back and pulled the remaining bullets and weighed the powder charge, all were correct. It was also a new unopened jug of powder.

Any ideas????

Any ideas????

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.