Blown primer in .243 Ackley

adam32

So to obey our new lead free law I'm starting to load up ammo for my hunting rifles.

First up is my .243 Ack, my go to rifle that has always shot 105gr Berger's

I cleaned it real good with Shooters Choice like I always do. It's a Broughton 5c so it cleans up extremely easy.

I loaded 5 of the 95gr Barnes LRX with H4831SC.

I started at 46 then 47, 48, 49, 50 based on loads I found online and QL calcs.

First shot at 46gr the bolt barely opened and the primer was in the mag box!!!! Plugging the 46gr load into QL comes up with 45,248 psi...I know there's lots of variables with QL and I accounted for the ones I know. Even still, this load is low compared to everything I've found.

I went back and pulled the remaining bullets and weighed the powder charge, all were correct. It was also a new unopened jug of powder.

Any ideas????

No...I didn't measure them but I know they aren't there compared to how far I seat the Bergers out.

if you didn't measure you don't know. check length to lands and start .050 off that has worked for the times I tried them. personaly I would switch to hammer bullets

Hammers don't have the BC I want for this rifle.

They are not touching the lands, I know that even without measuring...not my first time loading this rifle.

Measure them and seat them about 1/16" off the lands. Guessing is a poor ammo loading practice.

What would be the poor loading practice? I know they aren't at the lands, even if they were I don't see it being that much overpressure with a mild load???

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.