Blood trailing in Coyote country

I lived in North San Diego County, Valley Center. All my neighbors loved the fact that I didn't let any coyote go across our property and live. It was the normal thing that when I shot a coyote, I would immediately get several phone calls asking if I "got it". Most times I answered in the affirmative. Always received a hearty "Thank you" from the neighbors.

I lived in North San Diego County, Valley Center. All my neighbors loved the fact that I didn't let any coyote go across our property and live. It was the normal thing that when I shot a coyote, I would immediately get several phone calls asking if I "got it". Most times I answered in the affirmative. Always received a hearty "Thank you" from the neighbors.
I used to hunt close to Valley Center, Ramona, Julian, etc. I grew up in Redlands. Then Oceanside then Poway then I finally escaped Kommiefornia. I hunted, etc. in the San Bernardino Nat. Forest for 42 years and Cleveland Nat. Forest also for 28 years of that. I've shot a few yotes there 😉 mostly while deer hunting. When younger I whacked them while predator calling. Got a double once with shotgun and #4 buck. Here goes another story... 🙄 A buddy and I were hunting near Idyllwild by Peach Tree Springs of hwy 243. I had already filled my tag. I saw a coyote and a fork horn buck going at it. The coyote was trying to hamstring the buck. My friend was all tiked off at the yote. I told him shoot the buck ! I'll get the yote Geeezz! They were only about 150 yards away. Buddy shot the buck and coyote started running to my left then had to slow down to go through barb wire fence. Nailed the hamstringer with 7 mag. I saw a similar thing while deer hunting Thomas Hunting Grounds in San Bernardino Nat. Forest . A coyote came flying off a hill down to two bucks. A 3x3 and a forky. The deer ran then split up and the yote chased the 3x3. I let out a loud blaaaaa! The yote stopped and looked back. At around 250 yds. I introduced him to a 7mm 150 gr. Sierra. Ok, WYO300RUM's story time for the day is Over. 😉👍🏼🇺🇲🙏❤️🦌

Last edited:
Coyotes are a problem, but for years the bears have been coming to gun shots on my farm down east. If you shoot a deer with a bow, you are on the trail immediately. Even with that, I have had a buck taken off my tailgate by bear. I lost 2 bucks in one evening hunt, and had put hands on both of them.

As for coyotes, I predator hunt a lot. Becoming one of my favorite past times with a rifle. As stated above, if a pack comes to the call, I shoot the biggest in the hips to break him down, and his yelps bring the others back out. Can normally drop 2 or 3 more this way. I don't use an AR anymore for coyotes because my trigger finger is faster than my reticle. I find I am times more accurate with a bolt as I know I have to make each shot count.

With that said, I want to control the coyote population not eliminate it, as I feel they have a place in the eco system and I also enjoy the challenge.

Our rule is the same as stated above, any coyote is to be shot while deer hunting, no exceptions.
Ithink grizzlies here do the same with gunshots. It's a little nerve racking after you shoot a deer or elk here while cutting it up to pack out. My muley and cow elk last Nov. we're that way. Especially the muley up above North Fork of Shoshone River. I was about 8 miles from Yellowstone park entrance . I've seen grizzlies there and tracks all over. I was lucky I had a buddy with me both times. We went back to the site where we killed two cow elk to look for a knife a couple weeks ago .A griz or who knows how many had gotten on them sometime after we left. The sage brush around the elk was ripped up where it covered the elk. Buddy's elk 100 yds away same thing. It was Nov. 16 when we killed them. About 15 -20 degrees and snowing but not hard. I kept thinking maybe they are hibernating . Lol. No. They hibernate after 12/23 when all the elk hunting is done or don't hear anymore shots ! You don't see many coyotes around here. They get shot on site. Then there's wolves... 🤬

Ithink grizzlies here do the same with gunshots. It's a little nerve racking after you shoot a deer or elk here while cutting it up to pack out. My muley and cow elk last Nov. we're that way. Especially the muley up above North Fork of Shoshone River. I was about 8 miles from Yellowstone park entrance . I've seen grizzlies there and tracks all over. I was lucky I had a buddy with me both times. We went back to the site where we killed two cow elk to look for a knife a couple weeks ago .A griz or who knows how many had gotten on them sometime after we left. The sage brush around the elk was ripped up where it covered the elk. Buddy's elk 100 yds away same thing. It was Nov. 16 when we killed them. About 15 -20 degrees and snowing but not hard. I kept thinking maybe they are hibernating . Lol. No. They hibernate after 12/23 when all the elk hunting is done or don't hear anymore shots ! You don't see many coyotes around here. They get shot on site. Then there's wolves... 🤬
They are bringing em back to CA and they aren't the indigenous wolves. Bad idea.

They aren't "bringing" them to CA. A female from Oregon and then a male from Oregon, approximately three years ago, crossed into CA and now have bred and have puppies. It will suck to live in northern CA more than it already does.
Hope all hunters in the area believe in SSS.
After the sightings were verified, the oh so intelligent legislature (sarcasm, they are dumb as a box of rocks) voted to protect the wolves unconditionally! No reimbursement for livestock or any other damages attributable to the wolves.

They aren't "bringing" them to CA. A female from Oregon and then a male from Oregon, approximately three years ago, crossed into CA and now have bred and have puppies. It will suck to live in northern CA more than it already does.
After the sightings were verified, the oh so intelligent legislature (sarcasm, they are dumb as a box of rocks) voted to protect the wolves unconditionally! No reimbursement for livestock or any other damages attributable to the wolves.
Just like our Southern border, if they aren't stopping it they are bringing it.

Exactly.

Wthello-animal shelter treats unknown sick dog? Are you kidding me no clue its a yote?
Pa doesn't surprise me. I live in Pa/ Md line. I could see Md doing the same. Most people here believe there are no coyotes about. They don't hunt & are usually against it. There are bobcats also. But these people don't venture out in the woods at night. So they have no idea what is out there. If it wasn't for daily sightings of bears crossing the roads. They would not believe they existed around here either.