Blood trailing in Coyote country

Pdyson

We tell our hunters to stay in sight of their blind when going after deer or hogs that they have shot. We do it for a couple reasons; so they don't get lost and two so they don't walk into another hunters area. Several weeks back we had a gentleman and his son shoot a nice 8-point with a 270 Win. The deer ran out of their sight and they followed the rules. They marked blood at the sight of the hit, trailed the buck about 150yds, and stopped when they lost sight of their blind. They then got on the cell phone and called for help.
We called in a neighbor with a tracking dog who arrived in 20mins and we were on the blood trail about an hour later. We left the dog in the truck so not to ruin the dog putting him on a deer that was alive and running and the blood trail was easy to follow.
The buck had lay down another 50yds away but after the man and his son walked back to the blind, the coyotes jumped him up and ran him to death another 100 or so yards down into the ravine. They gutted him, ate both hams, liver, and part of the back strap before we could recover him.
I've never seen them get on a deer so fast you can see in the pictures that the hunter made a great shot.
If you have hungry coyotes, get on the trail fast and stay on it.
Off season predator hunts are in order Or we won't have fawns next year.

Attachments

• 3EB12F34-9CA3-4381-BC6E-2E2EB7903372.jpeg
    3EB12F34-9CA3-4381-BC6E-2E2EB7903372.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 351
  • F53929A3-FD95-47BA-9535-9916B40CE008.jpeg
    F53929A3-FD95-47BA-9535-9916B40CE008.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 356
I'm guessing the deer was alive when they started eating it!
We tell our hunters to stay in sight of their blind when going after deer or hogs that they have shot. We do it for a couple reasons; so they don't get lost and two so they don't walk into another hunters area. Several weeks back we had a gentleman and his son shoot a nice 8-point with a 270 Win. The deer ran out of their sight and they followed the rules. They marked blood at the sight of the hit, trailed the buck about 150yds, and stopped when they lost sight of their blind. They then got on the cell phone and called for help.
We called in a neighbor with a tracking dog who arrived in 20mins and we were on the blood trail about an hour later. We left the dog in the truck so not to ruin the dog putting him on a deer that was alive and running and the blood trail was easy to follow.
The buck had lay down another 50yds away but after the man and his son walked back to the blind, the coyotes jumped him up and ran him to death another 100 or so yards down into the ravine. They gutted him, ate both hams, liver, and part of the back strap before we could recover him.
I've never seen them get on a deer so fast you can see in the pictures that the hunter made a great shot.
If you have hungry coyotes, get on the trail fast and stay on it.
Off season predator hunts are in order Or we won't have fawns next year.

We have a rule where we hunt, no matter what you shoot any coyote you see. Even if you're on deer. Having a deer eaten over night is the rule here not an occasion occurrence.
Same here, we offer a free trophy buck tag for anyone who kills a feral hog, I'm thinking next year we should at least offer an 8-point tag for everyone who kills a Coyote. Wounded game won't make it through the night. If you don't get him in the truck tonight, there will be nothing but hide, bones and paunch contents in the morning.

We did a small scale deer eradication for a farmer last year. We would gut them where we parked near a railroad crossing about100 yards from paved highway. After about twenty deer killed we started hearing the coyote quartet strike up about two hundred yards away. When we were finished late in the season they were within flashlight range. You can train them to respond to gunshots. They come running.

Coyotes can be quick on the kill.
I was bowhunting and shot a doe. She ran into a thicket, about 40 yards, and I heard her crash, out of sight.
After getting down the tree in the climber, I was packing it up when I heard yipping. Immediately went to the doe and there were 5 coyotes on her tearing her stomach open. This was just 15 minutes after shot!!!

Coyotes can be quick on the kill.
I was bowhunting and shot a doe. She ran into a thicket, about 40 yards, and I heard her crash, out of sight.
After getting down the tree in the climber, I was packing it up when I heard yipping. Immediately went to the doe and there were 5 coyotes on her tearing her stomach open. This was just 15 minutes after shot!!!
That's fast. Must have seen it fall.